Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Updating Models

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
roberthaas4107
421 Views, 4 Replies

Error Updating Models

First off, I am running Inventor 2012 and Simulation 2013. When I have a model in Simulation, and change something in Inventor then try to reload in simulation, I get the error attached. When I try to update the model I do so by hitting the "Launch Active Model" button in Inventor. Is there a way of updating a model from inventor without getting this error?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Robert,

I have a few questions:

1. Do you have 2013.00.00.nnnn or 2013.01.00.0012 installed? Check "Getting Started > Help > About". (The second build number is service pack 1 which you should install if you do not already have it.)
  2. I assume the model shown in your image is the original model, not the updated model. Correct?
  3. After this error occurs, are you able to do "File > Save" in Simulation Mechanical?
  4. Are you leaving both Inventor and Simulation open between the two imports? Closing one or both? (which one)
  5. Is your model stored on your hard disk or somewhere else? Where else?

I tried to reproduce the problem but did not. I left both Inventor and Simulation Mechanical open between the first transfer and the second transfer.

Message 3 of 5

John

1. I do have the SP installed, 2013.01.00.0012.

2. The model shown is the updated one. If the program doesn't immediately crash, it will not allow me to do anything without showing that error message and stopping.

3. I am not allowed to do a Save without the error stopping it.

4. I am leaving inventor and Simulation open between the imports.

5. The CAD model and Simulation model are both saved on my hard disk.

Thanks,

Robert

Message 4 of 5

It is a bit of a mystery. Another thing you can try is this:

• Make the changes in Inventor and save the model.
  • In Simulation Mechanical, do a "File > Open" and select the Inventor model. The only difference between "pulling" the model like this and "pushing it" from Inventor into Sim Mechancial is that you will need to click the mesh button. Hopefully that is not a deal breaker 🙂

• Your original message implies that is occurs with all models or at least with more than one model. Is that true?
  • From the original image you provided, it looks like there may be "Mesh > CAD Additions > Bolts? in the Sim Mech model. Is that true? Perhaps there is some load or feature that is causing a problem. It mwy be helpful if you can reproduce the problem and provide some files. The model could either be a test model, and you could post the model either to the forum or provide it to Technical Support (if it is proprietary and you don't want to share it with the forum).

A) Delete the Sim Mech ".FEM" file and the "modelname.ds_data" folder if they exist.

B) Open the original Inventor model and "push" it to Sim Mechanical.

C) Set up the model with the loads, etc, but do not analyze it.

D) Make an archive of the model: "File > Archive > Create".

E) Make the changes to the Inventor model.

F) Archive the Inventor model. If my memory is correct, it is "File > Pack and Go".

G) Going off of memory again, the pack and go command creates a folder with all of the files. Zip the folder.

G) With everything saved in the state just before the problem, you can post the archive file (.ACH) and pack and go file (.ZIP).

H) Confirm that the problem is reproducible by pushing the model from Inventor to Sim Mech. If the problem occurs for you, then theoretically the problem should occur when someone else opens both models and tries to push the Inventor model.

Message 5 of 5

ok, I installed the SP after you told me to check it, and the problem still occurred with all the old files, but if I create a new model now and update it the problem has seemed to dissapear. The SP seems to have been the solution but the old simulations cannot be updated.

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report