Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Out of memory?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rrbartl2
1059 Views, 5 Replies

Error: Out of memory?

I'm trying to mesh a fairly complex 3D shape in Algor 2011, but continue to receive this error:

an error of type eht_OutOfMemory occurred

This line shows up after the dialog shows a "successful mesh," although the program had gone through at least 5 of the 6 retries in attempting to mesh the solid so I'm uncertain if that's true. I have nearly 150 available gigabytes on my computer and ample RAM, is this error due to something in my mesh setup? What can I do to remedy this? I'll attach a screenshot for reference on the error I'm getting.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
zhanghanz
in reply to: rrbartl2

The error message should be correct. The mesh size redues with the number of retries,and thus more memory is needed to generate a larger mesh. You can watch the task manager as the meshing progress to see if the memory is being used up.

In the meanwhile, you can try to set the retry number to 0, and see where the mesh fails without retry. There are like some tiny features or bad surfaces around the failed areas, and you may want to go back to your CAD package to modify those places in your CAD model.

You can also send in your model so that we can diagnose the problem.

Thanks,

Hanzhou Zhang

Message 3 of 6
rrbartl2
in reply to: zhanghanz

Thanks for the response. This problem has to do with available RAM, correct? I tried increasing the maximum page file size to allow more virtual memory utilized on the hard drive without success. The "commit charge" part on the task manager increases notably during the simulation, but is only about half full when Algor gives me the error, leading me to believe it cuts out when RAM is full and doesn't utilize page files at all.

It could be a CAD error, there are some funny geometry issues looking at the model in Algor but I thought it might just be a rendering thing as opposed to CAD problem. It wouldn't be from the CAD model itself but rather the .stp file that I use to import the drawing from Microstation. It'd probably be best to send you the file to give it a look-over, how could I go about getting you this file? It's pretty large even before I start trying to mesh it.

Message 4 of 6
zhanghanz

If you use a 32-bit Algor build, the memory can be used will be limited.

I was told you can send in the file through the site unless the data is confidential.

Thanks,

Hanzhou

Message 5 of 6
rrbartl2

Well I was able to overcome the "out of memory" bug for now, simply by using some symmetry to lower the requirements of the mesh. I improved on some CAD features as well that I identified as being an issue. However, I now get failures at the solid mesh and can't determine where these are entering into play. 

I've tried attaching a .ach file here for reference, it's not confidential. However the file size is too large by quite a bit. Where can I upload it on this site so you can take a look? Many thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 6
zhanghanz

Please talk to your tech support instead of going through the disscussion group for this issue. That would be more convenient for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report