Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 3008, Model.DBF is locked

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
597 Views, 6 Replies

Error 3008, Model.DBF is locked

Hello All,

I'm working on trying to get a model to run, but I keep running into the Error 3008 which indicates the Model.dbf is opened exclusively by another user.  This error is pointing at something not working right but I cannot figure out what it is.  I ran a simulation with a model made from similar geometry in Inventor.  Key items to look at while trouble shooting the cause of this error:

1. The geometry is modified from a successfully completed model.

2. There does not seem to be a geometry error (i.e. discontinuity) that would cause this error.

3. The error occurs while the mesh is completing.

4. Software is Simulation 2012, Build 2012.01.00.0017

5. Simulation method is MES with non-linear materials.

I have attempted the following as a solution already:

1.  Delete the three files in the DS.MOD folder and mesh the simulation.

2.  Delete the simulation files and restart the computer.

3.  Allow automatic meshing to drive the mesh size.

4. Saved the IPT file as a STP file and run with different mesh combinations.

5. Asked a co-worker to mesh the model.  This worked successfully.

I suspect there is an error with something on my computer, because my co-worker could mesh the model without trouble.  Would you have an idea what could change to address this error?  An image of the Error 3008 is attached.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I do not see anything obviously wrong in the path or name of the model, but my suspicion is that one of those is the culprit. Here are a few things to try:

1. Do a "File > Save As" and rename the model "Junk.fem" and locate it in a very simple folder, such as "C:\Temp". Does meshing work now?
  2. If meshing fails, try to change the element type in the browser, such as from brick to tet. Does that work? (The element type is recorded in model.dbf.)
  3. Edit the Element Definition and make a change. Click OK to exit. Does that work? (If you do not get an error, edit it again to confirm that your input was saved.)

My only other thought is that your computer is too fast Smiley Wink and one function is trying to access the model.dbf a split second before another function finishes with it. I don't know if it is possible to slow the computer, but that would be something to test.

Message 3 of 7
KubliJ

Hello,

This reminds me of a similar issue that affected random users of 2012...  Though the error message isn't exactly the same, except for the suggestion of a file permission issue due to it being in use makes me think it might be the same issue manifested in a different way.

Can you try disabling windows search/indexing?

A simple short term test is to go into Windows Task Manager, on the Services tab, find WSearch and right-mouse-click and select stop.  This will temporarily stop windows idexing from running, it will restart after a few minutes.  So after you stop it, try meshing the model. 

If you need more time to perform the mesh, you can stop the service for an indefinte period of time using these instructions (re-enabling is just the reverse).

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: KubliJ

Hello,

I suppressed the indexing of the files in the folder with Right Click -> Properties -> General tab -> Advanced and uncheck the box "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties."  This change allowed for an initial mesh completion, however any subsequent meshing resulted in the same error.  I tried to suppress Windows Indexing service, however I do not have admin access to make that change.  Finally, I changed the indexing back and found that subsequent meshing did complete; however, the analysis type text turned red.  I continued with the meshing by un-suppressing individual parts to identify if the error was caused by part geometry.  I stopped part of the way through the process and closed the software.  When opening the software, the same error occurs with a model that completed the meshing.  What could occur to cause the analysis type text to turn red?  I feel this is a hint regarding the root cause.

AstroJohn, I started with a model that has planes and solid bodies.  I suppressed the solid bodies and meshed the planes.  I then unsuppressed individual solid bodies and meshed with the automatic settings.  I don’t recall if the planes triggered the analysis type to turn red.  I’ll check on that.  If not I’ll attempt to mesh the solids per your recommendation.

Thank you,

Cooperjer

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hello,

I have a related error that has occurred with this model.  The attached images shows the error as Terminal Error: FEM2ESH#63, FEMAPI#5.

This model is a smaller version of the previous model, but it contains some similar geometry with a mix of solids and plates.  A couple things to note with this model:

1. Part 9 is a solid body and set to mesh as bricks and tetrahedrons.  The icon shows it as a plate.
  2. The Analysis Type was red text.  I closed Simulation and then opened the file again.  The Analysis Type was no longer red text.
  3. I did not receive an Error 3008 with this model while meshing it.
  4. The Terminal Error was identified after I started Check Model.

What could be the cause of the Terminal Error?

Thank you, Cooperjer

Message 6 of 7
AstroJohnPE

Actually, part 9 is not being recognized as plate elements or a plate mesh. The icon that you show in the browser only indicates that this part is meshed using the "Part Mesh Settings" instead of the global mesh settings. Each Part Mesh Settings can be unigue, so each parts  through 9 can have entirely different settings from each other.

Also, if part 9 were a plate element, you would get the "No mean_delta_T define in part 9" warning in the group.ldx file while doing the "Check Model". Parts 10 through 18 are the plate elements in your model.

About the error, it is not clear to me which part is the problem. It might be part 5 (FEMAPI #5), or that may just be a coincidence. I would look at the mesh results ("Mesh > Mesh > View Mesh Results" or something like that) and confirm that each solid part was successfully solid meshed. Also, check that the type of mesh agrees with the element type for 5 through 9. Perhaps one of those parts was accidentally set to a "plate/shell" type of mesh so you only got the outside surface mesh, but the element type was set to brick. In this case, there may not be any interior lines forming the brick elements. (I do not know if the software looks at the element type or the type of mesh setting when deciding which parts need to be solid meshed.)

If the solid mesh is missing from one or a few parts, you can right-click on that part and choose to solid mesh it directly. That is, there is no need to remesh the entire model just to get one part to solid mesh.

Worse case scenario is you need to suppress all of the parts except for one, and try the Check Model. Repeat with a different part active until you find the error. That will narrow it down to which part has the problem.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 7
KubliJ

Hi Cooper,

Part 9 concerns me.  The 'i' icon over the part suggests that there are mismatched and/or multimatched edges (e.g. edges of a surface body that does not align with the edge of another surface body).   This usually means you do not have a solid body.  Take a closer look at part 9, see if you can identify any physical issues.  If not, expand part 9 and right click on CAD Mesh Options and select Feature Matching.  Check to make sure there is no Unmatched edge count or Multimatched edge count.  If there is, you can try adjusting the slider and see if that resolves the counts.  You should ideally have zero for solid bodies.

Thanks,

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report