Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elastic Boundary Condition

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
klnkai
362 Views, 2 Replies

Elastic Boundary Condition

I already asked this question in another topic, but i guess no one answered, because the topic is already solved.

How do I calculate the stiffness for an elastic boundary condition?

Usually one would calculate K=E*A/L, but I think this does not apply for a surface boundary condition, does it?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: klnkai

Hi K,

I presume that you know the stiffness (=A*E/L) that you want to simulate. Right? Let's call that stiffness Keqv (for equivalent stiffness).

In the model, the equivalent stiffness is being represented by N elastic boundary conditions ("1D Springs" in the ribbon menu) working in parallel. So you find the formula for calculating the equivalent stiffness for parallel springs, and enter that into the stiffness field. (It's either Keqv = sum of k, or 1/Keqv = sum of (1 / k). I never remember which is for parallel springs and which is for springs in series.)

Since you need to know the number of nodes, it would be better to select the surfaces, then select the nodes on those surfaces (right-click > Select Subentities > Vertices). The title bar of the elastic boundary conditions will indicate how many nodes are selected.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
klnkai
in reply to: John_Holtz

Okay, your explanation makes sense. If springs are working parallel it is the sum of all stiffnesses K=SUM(k).

So I also tried to apply a stiffness to each node (like you said: selecting the subentities and dividing the stiffness K by the amount of nodes n: k=K/n) and I got another, better looking result.

However, don't I get a higher "stiffness density" in local refinement areas, now?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report