Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displacement of part due to thermal expansion?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JohnTomasik6493
2844 Views, 1 Reply

Displacement of part due to thermal expansion?

Snooped around the software's tutorials and help section, but I can't figure out what analysis to use and an example of how to set up the analysis as well as how to display those results.  I had an old thermal analysis that I tried to figure out if there was a means of displaying the expansion/shrink of the part, but the only things I found were the "long/short ratio", warp angle, etc.  The numbers didn't make sense.  For instance, the long/short ratio displays in mm/mm, and the value was 15 mm/mm, which definitely doesn't make sense for expansion of a metal object for a heat rise of 35 deg C.

A little help, please?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi John,

A thermal analysis only calculates temperatures and heat fluxes. To get displacements, whether due to applied forces or thermal expansion, you need to perform a stress analysis. Here are two pages in the help that should get you started:

• Help > Autodesk Simulation > Examples > Linear and Dynamic Stress > Thermal Stresses of Tanks. Then look at the displacement results.
  • Help > Autodesk Simulation > Setting Up and Performing the Analysis > Set Up Analyses > Linear > Loads and Constraints > Temperatures. The "introduction" essentially gives all of the steps necessary to do what you are trying.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report