Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dictating symmetry in Fluid flow

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
vex
Collaborator
748 Views, 2 Replies

Dictating symmetry in Fluid flow

I have not been able to find the proper documentation on how to tell ALGOR what surface is the symmetric surface.  I understand I can use a mirror plane for the results, but I think the solution is treating the symmetric surface as a wall.

I have told the mesher to exclude the symmetric surface from the boundary layer mesh, which allows it to have the right mesh geometry, but the velocity at the surface appears to be set to 0, is there anyway to adjust this setting?  Solving the solution this way allows me to run a finer mesh without the drawbacks of computation time.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  (For instance, modeling the full geometry would result in a much more course mesh and would not result in any decrease in computation time, where as modeling 1/2 of the model along it's symmetric plane the same number of elements can be used for the same amount of computation time, but would give me a finer mesh)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: vex

Hi,

You just need to apply the proper prescribed velocity to the symmetry face. The direction normal to the face should be set to 0, and the two directions parallel to the face should not be set.

This is described in "Autodesk Algor Simulation > Setting Up and Performing the Analysis > Setting Up Part 2 > Fluid Flow > Loads and Constraints > Prescribed Velocity", then the paragraph "What Does a Prescribed Velocity Do?". See Table 1 and Figure 3 for an example.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
vex
Collaborator
in reply to: John_Holtz

That's pretty simple.  Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report