Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
491 Views, 3 Replies

Dead nodes

When I use "Check Model" on my CFD air space, it tells me that everything is fine, but when I start the analysis it tells me that I have dead nodes and dead elements and stops the analysis. What does this mean? I can't find reference to this in help. Is there a way to identify these nodes and elements and do something about it? I have used an all tet mesh because when I try to use tets and wedges, it won't mesh at all. I have also added refinement points in relatively thin areas of the flow model to be sure there are nodes within those spaces.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Unless you have really old software, you should be able to find the explanation by searching the help for "dead nodes" or going to the page "Autodesk Algor Simulation > Setting Up and Performing the Analysis > Setting Up Part 3 > Performing the Analysis > Performing A Fluid Flow Analysis".

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
shakeel.mirza
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Ralphrail,

You might be having a very abrupt variation of mesh size in the refined areas. You can solve the problem by adjusting the global size and the local refinement size to have a variation that avoids Dead elements/nodes.

If you can please share your model here or email me  at shakeel.mirza [ at ]  autodesk.com

Regards,

Shakeel

Message 4 of 4
Joey.X
in reply to: shakeel.mirza

Dead nodes mean that the all nodes on an element are fully constrainted as fixed(zero velocity), and then this element is refered as dead element. Removing this element will have identical effect as the dead element invloved in the simulation, that's why it is refered as "dead". Obviously this has impact to the result accurancy.

They typically happen under using fully tetrahedral mesh, the remedy is using boundary layer mesh on the wall.

Refer to Algor's help for more explanation as John's reply before.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report