Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression or Tensile Stress

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
JohnHerrman2382
899 Views, 3 Replies

Compression or Tensile Stress

How do you determine if the resulting stresses are compressive or tensile in an Algor FEA model?  Typically this is not a consern because the results are obvious; however, in the case of a cylindrical vessel, having a vertical axis of revelation, and an elevated conical bottom it is not so obvious.  We know that the transition area in the shell to cone bottom juncture can and typically is compressive in thin wall shallow cones.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dharhay
in reply to: JohnHerrman2382

I change the stresses that I am viewing to one of my relevant principal stresses.  Alternately, I have used the principal stress directions also.

Dave H
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the assistance - this does provide the information requested.  However, when evaluating the attached model, the direction results seem inconsistant.  The attached model is seeing only a hydrostatic load and yet the model denotes a tension load in half the transition region and a compressive load in the opposite half.  Either I'm not understanding the FEA output or there seems to be an error in my model.

I attempted to attach a zipped copy of the .ach file for review; however, the file is apparently to large.  Is there a procedure for posting larger files?

Message 4 of 4
S.LI
in reply to: JohnHerrman2382

Maybe you can check the reaction forces at the place that you are interested in.

Not sure if this is helpful.

You can generate the file without results if the simulation doesn't need a long while.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report