Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Up Parts in Browser

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
andrewdroth
315 Views, 2 Replies

Cleaning Up Parts in Browser

When creating a model I often end up with a lot of CAd imported p[arts that are not used in the final model.

Since these parts cannot be deleted I'm forced the leave them surpressed, and the part's list can be very long.

Sorting through the long list of parts can be very aggrivating, so I've come up with a workaround to simplify the model.

I create all the parts I want in my final model, and suppress the ones that are not needed. I then run the simulation without any loads/gravity. Using the 'Make FEM' option I export the non-suppressed parts to a new model. This works well, but the only problem is the part numbers do not reset (the names do though?)

I imagine the export cad wireframe option would work the same, but it always seems to crash the software.

I'm looking to see how others deal with cluttered parts and keeping their models clean. 

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: andrewdroth

Hi Andrew,

Another option is to suppress the parts in the CAD application before transferring the model to Simulation Mechanical. If my memory is correct, our importer will only import active parts. (Depending on the CAD application, their terminology may be visible/invisible or something else.)

Message 3 of 3
andrewdroth
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

That is true, but it doesn't help with my workflow.

My models are a combination of surfaces and beams. In order to draw all my geometry in Inventor I need to draw the beams as edges of surfaces as sketches can not be imported. Then after importing & meshing I duplicate the lines on the edges of some surfaces to new parts to be used as beams. After I'm happy with the mesh I no loger need those CAD parts, and would like to remove them from the model.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report