Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Check Model' Causing Crash/Lockup

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bryan_mcnatt
578 Views, 8 Replies

'Check Model' Causing Crash/Lockup

Anyone else experiencing this?  Occasionally, if I click 'Check Model' prior to running an analysis, Simulation locks up and will not respond.  Windows task manager doesn't report it as "Not Responding".  I have to kill the process and restart.  I haven't yet filed a support ticket because I can't make it happen and so can't really say more about it than the above.

Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering
www.mrd-engineering.com
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
zhuangs
in reply to: bryan_mcnatt

Usually "Job manager" does not result in 'stuck' issue if we only "Check" the model.  It might be related to the size of your model.  Did you see the ds.ldd file available in the folder?

-Shoubing

Message 3 of 9
bryan_mcnatt
in reply to: zhuangs

No, I did not specifically check that file after the lockup.  However, going back now and looking at all the most recent ds.ldd files in a number of folders, I do not find any error messages or any indication of large file size with any model.  I would think that a model-size issue would lead to a repeatable lockup.  I can't forcibly repeat the lockup.  Sometimes it locks up and sometimes it does not.  After I kill the program and reopen the model, the program will not lockup.  I will, however, check this file immediately after the next occurrance and report back here.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan McNatt, P.E.
MRD Engineering
www.mrd-engineering.com
Message 4 of 9
Stefan2653

I am having the exact same problem. If I perform a surface mesh and then run a model check, it locks up after completing the meshing process and saving the file. I have waited up to ten minutes to see if there is a process running, but no change. There is zero activity in the processor cores. 

The model is not particularly large, and I had the same problem with a very fine mesh and a very coarse mesh. However, if I perform a surface mesh and then perform the analysis (not model check), the model runs and the results are displayed with no issues. So this appears to be an issue only with the "check model" runs.

Stefan

Message 5 of 9
aasiu

Hi,

I was experiencing the same problem. Is your simulation model on a network drive? Have you done a "save-as" of your original file? If your answers is yes to any of these questions please see below.

The problems can be:

Beginnign of quote from Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2015 R1 readme file:

Summary of Known Issues

Analysis

• You may not be able to run a simulation or check a model after using the Save As command.
        • Running a simulation fails when the model is located in a network folder. Copy the model to your local hard drive and run from there.

End of quote.

I was trying to put alink to the Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2015 R1 readme file but was not able to. You can serch for it, it's on the Autodesk's website.

Please let me know if this was a fix to your problem.

Thanks,

Adrian

Message 6 of 9
Stefan2653
in reply to: aasiu

aasiu,

Thanks for the tip. However, I had not performed a "save as" and my files are all on the local machine. The process was to open the assembly in Inventor 2014 and launch the active model. The file was autmatically saved with the same name as the assembly, and is located in the same directory.

A few observations:

- Once I analyze the model, I can run a model check without issue.

- If I ever change the mesh parameter and perform a surface mesh, check model locks up.

- I ran a smaller model (two parts) with no check model issues at all.

Stefan

Message 7 of 9
aasiu
in reply to: Stefan2653

Hi Stefan,

I had a similar workflow and somehow similar experience on simulation down last week.

I had my simulation workstation down for two days. I was now able to re-create a simulation from scratch to verify the “save-as” theory in my case as well. It is not the culprit, I have something else preventing the check-model running (the program freezes).

If I just run the simulation, I get the job “Scheduled” indefinitely…

Adrian

Message 8 of 9
aasiu
in reply to: Stefan2653

Hi Stefan,

I was able to run my simulation, the problem in my case was the Simulation Job Scheduler that was clogged and wasn't allowing anything to run.

You have to delete all jobs from that and then try running your simulation.

Let me know please...

Best regards,

Adrian

Message 9 of 9
Stefan2653
in reply to: aasiu

Hi aasiu,

I don't have any jobs scheduled or running concurrently, so that doesn't appear to be the problem for me.

Stefan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report