Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing split location on cylindrical surfaces

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
362 Views, 1 Reply

changing split location on cylindrical surfaces

I want to apply a surface force to a cylindrical hole in a part that I brick meshed with the default mesh, but the cylindrical surfaces of my hole are split 90 degrees off from the direction that I need to apply the force. How do I fix this?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Deborah,

I suggest that you split the surface in your CAD model so that you have geometry where you need it in order to apply your force.

If your CAD system does not have a split feature, you can use the surface knitting within Autodesk Simulation to create something similar. See the following page in the documentation: Help > Autodesk Simulation > Open Model Files > Open CAD Files > Surface Knitting. About half way down the page is a paragraph that begins with this:

"Although some CAD programs have the ability to split a face or surface into smaller regions, surface knitting provides an alternative method of creating a split face."

Good luck.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report