Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the reflectivity of a material

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Emily.I
375 Views, 4 Replies

Change the reflectivity of a material

Hi,

I want to change the reflectivity of a material? At the moment all I can change is the emissivity which isn't the same...

Any help?

Thank you,

Emily

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Joey.X
in reply to: Emily.I

Hi, Emily, 

In general, the interplay of energy exchange by thermal radiation is characterized by the following equation, and has relation as below,

Absorptivity + Reflectivity + Transmissibility=1                ----------------   (1)

For opaque surface (ASIM/MP thermal radiation has this assumption),   Transmissibility=0

so   Absorptivity + Reflectivity =1                              ----------------   (2) 

Using Kirchhoff's law states that in thermal equilibrium,

Emissivity = Absorptivity                                         ----------------   (3)  

Combing (2) and (3), gets

Emissivity  + Reflectivity =1                                

So here you can see the dependency between surface Emissivity and Reflectivity.  

Two extrame examples:

- Black body (  perfect black body, Emissivity=1,  Reflectivity=0)

- White body ( Snow is close white body,  Reflectivity=0.90  at visible light,  Emissivity is small)

Hope the this helps.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 3 of 5
Emily.I
in reply to: Joey.X

Well, what I really want to change is the albedo...

Message 4 of 5
Joey.X

Albedo could be converted to Reflectivity depending on what kind of Albedo and what the material properties. 

Beware the cases of water, glass or snow on the surface, the transmissibility is not trivial, that violates the ASIM/MP's assumption of opaque surface.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 5 of 5
John_Holtz

Hi Emily,

Perhaps you can explain what you want to do, and someone can suggest a way to do it. Other than mentioning emissivity, which implies radiation which implies heat transfer, we do not know anything about your simulation.

P.S. What's the difference between albedo and reflectivity? In my circle of friends (astronomy), albedo is the amount of reflected light. If you exaggerate light to mean all forms of radiation, then wouldn't albedo and reflectivity be the same?

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report