Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD details

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
SqnLdr
2625 Views, 11 Replies

CFD details

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase this software. I am wondering if anyone could provide me with accurate information as to its capabilities - all I can find is marketing that doesn't answer my questions.

Does it employ FEM / FVM / Hybrid methods? What post-processing capabilities does it have in terms of specific values at specific points in the flow? What turbulence models are available? How extensively has it been validated and verified?

I come from a background of ANSYS and Code_Saturne, I'm used to drudging around in endless UDFs and raw FORTRAN - you can see why I'd be sceptical when I can't see the science behind the marketing!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Sqn

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Joey.X
in reply to: SqnLdr

If you are looking for Autodesk Multiphysics(original Algor Simulation), it has CFD package inside.

Autodesk CFD (original CFdesign) is another package. Both of them are FEM based. Please let me know which one you are interested.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 3 of 12
SqnLdr
in reply to: Joey.X

Ah, I had the understanding that BRN CFDesign and Autodesk Algor were merging into Multiphysics. Is this not the case?
If not, is the 2011 documentation for CFDesign an accurate representation of what's to be expected from Autodesk CFD?
Thanks for the response

Sqn

Message 4 of 12
Joey.X
in reply to: SqnLdr

The two products have not merged at this point.   Both of them have overlaps and their own special features,  the 2011 documentation for CFDesign is for  CFDesign only (now named as  Autodesk CFD).

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 5 of 12
VD1
Participant

What are the plans to integrate the two products? Will there be a single CFD solver in future?

The YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL_DOxFagvI&feature=youtube_gdata_player) showcases Algor based CFD or is using CFDesign? Or there is a choice to use any one of the solvers in the background while interface/GUI remains the same?

I also see that in Autodesk Simulation CFD, some of the modules that CFDesign (standalone), used to offer are dropped/not-included? Why is that so?

Regards,

VD

Message 6 of 12
Joey.X
in reply to: VD1

KD,

The video in youtube is Algor based CFD not CFdesign based.  As I have mentioned in last post, Algor and CFdesign's UI and solvers are separated at this point, thanks for your suggestion.

For Autodesk Simulation CFD(original CFdesign), I am not sure which modules are dropped now as you mentioned, notes that there are three sub-products now, i.e., simulation CFD; simulation CFD advanced and simulation CFD motion. Please check if the dropped one is not in the package of "simulation CFD", but in the other twos.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 7 of 12
VD1
Participant

Thanks for the update. Now I can see that the CFDesign offerings are ramped up as we go from basic module to advanced module.

Thanks.

I am a bit confused though with the terminologies used by Autodesk to differentiate the CFD caoabilities in Algor and CFDesign. I was going through a FAQ on the Autodesk portal (here is the link: http://www.wb-3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/AutoDesk_2012_Products/AutoDesk_Simulation/simulatio...). 

This FAQ states the changes that are on the cards for Algor offerings in 2012 release. What is the difference between Autodesk Simulation multiphysics (which also says that it will have some CFD modules) and Autodesk Simulation CFD?

On the face of it, it looks like Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics will have Algor as the CFD solver and Autodesk Simulation CFD will have CFDesign. Are the two products Algor and CFDesign talking with each other? Can we use these two to perform say one way or two way FSI?

What is the price for Autodesk Simulation CFD (its various modules)?

Message 8 of 12
Joey.X

I did a quick look of The FAQ, it appears that it's for Algor only, not includes CFdesign. 

The talking between Algor and CFdesign is under development including one way FSI. Notes the released products(v2012)  do not have this commnication.

This is a tech forum, sorry we are not talking about the price over here.  

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation
Message 9 of 12
VD1
Participant

Thanks.

I was browsing through the product capabilities (http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autodesk_simulation_cfd.pdf). I noticed that although Autodesk Simulation CFD exports the results in formats suitable for all the other FEA products like Nastran, Abaqus etc, however there is no mention of Algor ("Autodesk Simulation Mechanical/Multiphysics").

Why is it so?

Message 10 of 12
VD1
Participant

One additional question, is that what about the MCAD offerings CFDesign had with CAD products like CFDesign for CATIA etc. Will that continue with Autodesk Simulation CFD as well?

Is there a product like Autodesk Simulation CFD for CATIA?

Message 11 of 12
derrek.cooper

Hi VD..I am the product manager for Simulation CFD (former CFdesign) products. I'll try and shed sone light on some of your questions..

The easiest way to think about it is that Multiphysics (algor) and Simulation CFD (CFdesign) were two completely separate products. Now that they are under the Autodesk Simulation portfolio you may see sharing of technologies across the products, but for the 2012 release, they are fairly independent.

In some ways, they share similar capabilities but they are probably as different as they are alike.

Simulation CFD exports pressure and temperatures (1-way FSI) to ANSYS, Abaqus, NASTRAN and Mechanica. We are actively looking into a unique way of solving FSI problems. Do you have a particular applicaiton in mind?

Derrek Cooper
Director, Inventor Products
Message 12 of 12
derrek.cooper

yes, Simulation CFD integrates with all of the major CAD tools, including CATIA. Here is a page that covers the CAD Connection capabilities. The video shows Inventor, but it works exactly the same in all of the CAD tools

Derrek Cooper
Director, Inventor Products

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report