Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we simulate crushing in the critical buckling load analysis?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ckkt91
450 Views, 2 Replies

Can we simulate crushing in the critical buckling load analysis?

Hi

I am trying to run a buckling analysis and I am getting results of the bucking load mutiplier which increase exponentially as I decrease the slenderness ratio. I want to know if the crushing properties of the material are incorporated into this environment, or are they not?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: ckkt91

Hi ckkt91,

I do not know exactly what you mean by "crushing properties", but the answer is no if you are performing a "Linear > Critical Buckling Load" analysis type. You can also verify this by looking at the material properties. If there is no input for the crushing property, then there is no calculation for it other than normal compression. It also depends on the element type. A beam element is just a line, so there is no calculation for buckling of the flange, for example.

If my memory is half-way correct, the Euler formula for buckling gives that the force is proportional to 1/(slenderness ratio)^2, so you results seem right to me.

If you use the nonlinear analysis type, then crushing may be possible depending on the material model. The material model controls what material properties are needed and what calculations are included in the analysis. But nonlinear is unlikely to give a straight buckling load. You need to decide what constitutes buckling and watch for that result to occur.

Message 3 of 3
ckkt91
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Thank you so much!

Are you talking about MES with non linear material models? If I ensure through theoretical calcuations that the slenderness ratio for that model is good enough for crushing (and not buckling) for that particular material, it should give me the stress at which it crushes?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report