Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I constrain a part this way?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mechamania
548 Views, 5 Replies

Can I constrain a part this way?

Hi

I need to constrain a part in a way I can not do with the simulation in Inventor.

Before buying Simulation Mechanical I would like to know if I can do it with that simulator.

I need to constrain a part such that a point somewhere in the part (it may be the origin) will always stay on

a plane somewhere in the part  (may be for instance its ZY plane).

Can that be done?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Yes, it can be done.

Allowing a point to translate in the ZY plane, means to constrain its X translation only. Simulation Mechanical allows you to constrain individual DoF or a combination of DoF of your choice.

Regards

Ilyas

Message 3 of 6

Thanks

But isn't this X-translation defined relative to the global coordinate system?

I need the part being constraint relative to its local YZ plane.

I have several of these parts and each is orientated differently.  Theire YZ planes are not alligned.

Message 4 of 6

If you want to constrain your part to an arbitrary plane, you will need to create a local coordinate system for your part and specify the constraints based on the newly created local axes. 

Message 5 of 6

@ilyas

Can I also constrain such that a point from the part wil always stay on that local plane?

When constraining the part to move only in X direction, will it still be possible to rotate the part around the (local) origin?

That would be good enough for me because I assume I can put the origin at any location I want.

Message 6 of 6

Yes, you can constrain a point such that it will always be on a local plane. Creating a local coordinate system will create X Y and Z axes of your choice of origin location and axes orientation. You may align one of the axes, lets say X,  to the normal of the plane that you have in mind. Once the coordinate system is set, you may apply the constraints on the required DoF, in your case, translation of X. The part will only move in the local YZ plane.

Assuming that you are working with bricks and tetrahedral elements, you can allow the part to pivot around an axis by constraining nodes that are colinear.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report