Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolt -> Bolt head not being centralized after mesh refinement

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
scudelari
467 Views, 6 Replies

Bolt -> Bolt head not being centralized after mesh refinement

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to simulate The following piece:

Capturar.PNG

The applied pressure would push the ring up. The blue dots in the small holes of the base are centers of Rigid Links that I want to have connected to the vertices of the upper surface, as shown in the following picture:

Capturar.PNG

This was made manually using the commands in the draw panel. First problem:

1- I have 24 holes. This took a LOT of time. Is there a better way to do this?

The second problem appeared - for obvious reasons - when I tried to refine the mesh: The new mesh had more lines around the circular edges and therefore the connection I made manually was lost.

2- Is it possible to have this automatically updated with the mesh? I mean, can I make some kind of connection between the edge and the middle point to have it automatically connected with lines regardless of the granularity of the generated mesh around those edges?

Naturally, I tried to use the Bolt feature. I put the head diameter as 0 and selected the proper surfaces. It worked only without the mesh refinement points I added.

Here you can see what happened without mesh refinements.

Capturar.PNG

And here is what happens when the mesh is improved.

Capturar.PNG

One may see that the center of the bolt is not centered anymore to the center of the hole! 

Why? Shouldn't it consider the center of the surface regardless of the number of vertices?

How can I created properly my mesh?!

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
scudelari
in reply to: scudelari

Anyone?!?!?!

Message 3 of 7
S.LI

Bolts have to be re-generated after remeshing/mesh refinement. The reason is bolts are constructed on nodes, and nodes might dramatically be changed after remeshing.

About the position of the center point, I think it is the mean value of all nodes. Refinement might cause it a little bit away from the center of the hole.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 4 of 7
scudelari

Understood.

But is there a way to automatically create what I need? 

Sincerely

Message 5 of 7
scudelari

I mean, I am a programmer myself. Is there a way to customize macros in simulator?

I could then simply calculate the center point of the circular edge and create lines from all the vertices to that point.

Sounds like an easy programming problem, if the programming interface and documentation is good, that is.

Sincerely!

Message 6 of 7
S.LI

I don't think we can do it automatically. At least, I didn't see it in any documentation and people's posts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 7 of 7
scudelari

Not even programatically?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report