Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to constrain

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
feldwill
550 Views, 2 Replies

Best way to constrain

This is an easy one (I think).  Please see picture attached.

What is the right way to constrain my hub so no sufraces are really fixed.  But aside for deflections hub can not go anywhere?

Thank You

Best Regards

William

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: feldwill

Hi William,

1. Select 3 random points throughout the hub, but the points cannot be in a straight line.
  2. Add "Setup > Constraints > 3D Springs" to the three points. Fix the X, Y, and Z directions. Make them translation springs with a small stiffness.

That's it! Three "fixed" points are sufficient to prevent motion in all directions, and the low stiffness will let the part deflect without transmitting too much force through the springs to the ground.

P.S. I see that the "Contact (Default: )" is set to Free. This indicates that no parts will contact any other parts. Is this really what you want?

Message 3 of 3
feldwill
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

What would you suggest for  contact, The function is obvious, hub clamps to shaft.  Right now I have it drawn with .003" gap ID to OD, which is the worst case condition.  I'm checking clamping deflection after bolting.

I put 3 springs and changed Contact to "Surface", my deflection is .0001" which is tiny and I expect more then .003".

See pics attached.

Regards

William

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report