Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner simulation question

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
colin.dablain
409 Views, 3 Replies

Beginner simulation question

Hi,

I'm new to Autodesk Simulation and I was hoping somebody would be able to help me out a bit.  I'm trying to design a wheel that can travel in soft sand with the greatest efficiency possible.  Is it possible to simulate the wheel signage, power usage, and velocity given that I know the characteristics of the motor that will be powering the wheel and the gear reductions in between?

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: colin.dablain

Hi Colin,

I am not familiar with "wheel signage". What does that mean?

Also, do you have some thoughts on the sand and how to model its effects on the wheel?

Message 3 of 4
colin.dablain
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

John,

Thank you for your reply.  I meant to say "the wheel sinkage."  Some of the literature that I was reading about Bekker's sinkage equations suggested that the sand be modeled as a fluid, but a reply to my post to the Sim 360 forum confirmed that would not be possible to set up using CFD.  Modeling the sand as a fluid was really the only way that I could think of to allow the sand to dynamically react to the grouser wheel that I am trying to design.  I am not very familiar with the capabilities of the Simulation Multiphysics or Simulation Mechanical softwares, so I do not know whether I would be able to import a terrain map from 3DS Max or something similar.  

Message 4 of 4
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: colin.dablain

Ok. Wheel sinkage makes sense. But I cannot think of any methods of simulating the sand to get the effects of traction, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report