Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam "Worst Stress" for Circular Cross-Sections

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
StreamlineDesigns
741 Views, 2 Replies

Beam "Worst Stress" for Circular Cross-Sections

Hi all,

I do a lot of beam-based analysis of structures with circular tube cross-sections. As I've been thinking about the definition of "worst stress" for beams, it seems that this may not be totally accurate for a circular or hollow circular cross-sections.

The help documentation indicates that mathematical worst-stress could be at a non-existent location for asymmetrical beams. For a round beam, despite it being symmetrical, it seems that the worst stress reported may not be exactly correct either. It would seem that in-between the '2' and '3' axes on a circular cross-section (say at a 45° angle) that the stress would be somewhere between the values of |P/A| + |M2/S2| and |P/A| + |M3/S3|.

Does this make sense, or am I thinking about this incorrectly?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Adam

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

I agree with your thinking Adam. The highest stress on the surface of a circle or tube is really lower than |M2/S2| + |M3/S3|.

So, if you want to have some fun today Smiley Wink, you can check my math. The stress at a point depends on the distance from the neutral axis, it seems reasonable (but perhaps not correct!) that the

worse stress = stress2*cosine + stress3*sine.

where the angle is measured from one of the axes. The maximum result occurs at the angle where the derivative equals zero, or

change in worse stress/change in angle = -stress2*sine + stress3*cosine = 0

So the angle depends on the values for the maximum stress about axes 2 and 3. If we look at the ratio stress3/stress2 = X, the equation simplifies to

-stress2*sine + (X*stress2)*cosine = 0

stress2*(X*cosine - sine) = 0

Of course, stress2 could be 0, but the more interesting result is when

X*cosine - sine = 0

X*cosine = sine

X = sine/cosine = tangent

So by calculating a few ratios of X, the angle where the maximum is located can be calculated, which can then be used to calculate the maximum worse stress of stress2*(cosine+X*sine). Here are a few examples:

X =

stress3/stress2    Angle    worse stress/stress2   software's (|M2/S2| + |M3/S3|)/stress2

0                                   0                        1                                                         1

0.578                         30                       1.16                                                   1.56

1                                 45                       1.41                                                    2

1.5                             56.3                     1.80                                                  2.5

2                                63.4                     2.24                                                   3

3                                71.6                    3.16                                                    4

If you do not want to use the conservative values from the software, you might be able to write a custom formula to do the above calculation. That would be neat to see if it works!

Message 3 of 3

Thanks for the thoughtful response, John. I'll have to spend some time thinking about this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums