Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

beam plate moment

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
n.pesin
620 Views, 4 Replies

beam plate moment

Hello,

Do beam element transfer moment to plate element?

Thanks you all

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: n.pesin

Yes, unless the beam element is perpendicular to the plate element(s). When the beam element is perpendicular to the plate, you should distribute the connection over several nodes. It would be similar to the discussion on the help page titled "Examples of Contact" for the case of connecting a beam to a brick element.

Message 3 of 5
n.pesin

Thank you for your very prompt reply.

But my question is also about shell element: Do beam element transfer moment to shell element?

(We often need to run a non linear analysis with large beam-reinforced plate/shell because of the large displacement obtained under a linear analysis)

Furthermore could you tell me which moment are indeed transfer to plate/shell (under linear / non linear analysis) : about axis 1? about axis 2? about axis3?

When I apply moment about axis 2 and 3 under linear or non linear analysis it looks like it works but the results look weird.

In order to know if those results were good, I tried to apply moment directly to the plate: but rigid element doesn't exist under non linear analysis. Could you also tell me how we can apply moment on plate under non linear analysis?

Thank you for your help.

N. PESIN

Message 4 of 5
AstroJohnPE

Hi Pesin,

The nonlinear shell and linear plate have the same moment transfer ability (also known as degrees of freedom). Moments are transfered about the plate/shell axes 1 and 2 but not about axis 3.

You apply a moment to a plate/shell element using the surface moment or nodal moment: it is the same as applying the moment to beam element. A surface moment can be applied about the plate/shell axis 3 because the solver decomposes the moment into a series of forces. A nodal moment about axis 3 should use the method I mentioned before in the "Examples of Contact" section of the Help documentation.

Message 5 of 5
n.pesin
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi PE,

Thank you for your answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report