Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
madg1
314 Views, 2 Replies

beam offset

Hi all

can we offset a beam element along local coordiante system?.....say local 1 axis

madg1
ASIMM 2012
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JWttengineering
in reply to: madg1

Beam offsets are defined using the global coordinate system. Thus, even if you select the endpoints of a line (beam) and define those nodes to belong to a local coordinate system, the input for the beam offset does not allow you to select the local coordinate system, prior to defining the Dx, Dy and/or Dz.

However regardless of the coordinate system, the input for the i and j nodes of the beam represent a vector, with both magnitude and direction, so the values to be input require one coordinate system transformation.

It would be a nice enhancement, though, to have the option to select a different coordinate system.

-Jeff

Jeffrey Wanko, P.E.
Senior Engineer, FEA Lead Analyst
T&T Engineering Services, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
madg1
in reply to: JWttengineering

thank you jeff..

yes we can do that in global coordinate system....

But if you have a lattice structure with many lacings....it will be a difficult task to offset the elements at joints right?

I also use one more software(sacs) to do this stuff.But that got a very bad GUI with all features....ASIM got a very good GUI with some less features i guess....

madg1
ASIMM 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report