Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

beam k factor buckiling

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
madg1
591 Views, 5 Replies

beam k factor buckiling

Hi

Can some one throw some light on the effective length factor k  of a beam (say rectangular c/s strong axis is 2 and weak axis is 3).In this case the beam is a tapered section ie  the c/s areas of the two elements are different.say left most node is fixed and load applied in -Z on theright most node. forgive my cave drawing as I am still using ms paint...Smiley Sad

madg1
ASIMM 2012
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
John_Holtz
in reply to: madg1

Hi magd1,

Sorry, but I do not understand your question. Can you elaborate? For example,

Is the "k factor" related to something in buckling, such as the slenderness ratio or compensation for the constraints?

Or are you referring to the "k-node" which is used to define the orientation of beam elements?

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 6
madg1
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hello john

K factor as in buckling. and load is axial (axis 1) not in -Z direction as I mentioned earlier .Find the following.

madg1
ASIMM 2012
Message 4 of 6
madg1

you guys mentioned something here...not clear for my head......

beam checking

I guess this image help a bit.

Let most is fixed and you apply axial load on the right.

Each section is idealised as a beam and supplied the sectional properties.

as you see in the image, there are 6 elements.and the beam is a tapered section.so each section c/s is varying.

So I am concerned about the K factor and how the software approached this issue.

madg1
ASIMM 2012
Message 5 of 6
madg1

hello john

did you get a chance to look into this issue.Any help is appreciated.

thanks

madg1
ASIMM 2012
Message 6 of 6
John_Holtz

Hi,

My first question is what are you trying to calculate?

1. If you want to know at which load your column will buckle, then perhaps you should run the simulation type "Linear > Critical Buckling Load". But it looks like your column is very compact, so read the limitations of the Critical Buckling Load solution.
  2. If you want to check the design against the Allowable Stress Design (ASD) code, then you will need to check the written code to see if they have formulas for your arrangement. Off the top of my head, I do not know if they support tapered beams or tubing with a gusset in the middle (is that what I'm seeing in your image, a gusset/rib?) I do not know if this design code is online or whether you need to purchase the Specification for Structural Steel Buildings from the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) book.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report