Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

basic question about gap element stiffness

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
madg1
533 Views, 3 Replies

basic question about gap element stiffness

if I selected two surfaces 1 inch apart and both surfaces having say 100 nodes.

I select draw-design-contact eleemnts and pick the two surfaces.say i am able to create 100 elements.

now in the tree....element type would be  gap and we give stiffness in the definition.

my question is the stiffness value is for each gap element or the all 100 elemets combined?

madg1
ASIMM 2012
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: madg1

Hi magd1,

The entered stiffness is for each element.

It sounds like you are setting up a linear static stress analysis. You example is probably just a hypothetical example; otherwise, a 1 inch gap sounds large for a linear analysis in which all of the displacements are assumed to be small. Small is relative to the size of the model, too.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 4
madg1
in reply to: John_Holtz

if I can give maximum stiffness(allowable in software)....what difference does the gap size can make?afterall its closing and opening gaps right?

madg1
ASIMM 2012
Message 4 of 4
John_Holtz
in reply to: madg1

Sorry, for some reason I assumed the gap type was "compression with gap". I have no idea where I got that idea because you did not mention what type of gap elements you were setting up.

If you are using "compression without gap", then I agree with you completely that the size of the gap is not a factor. I

f they are "compression with gap", then the two parts connected by the gap elements must move a relative distance of 1 inch toward each other before contact occurs. Depending on the geometry of the model, 1 inch could be ok (large physical size of thing being analyzed, small strain in parts) or stretching the accuracy of linear stress (small physical size, large strain in parts).

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report