Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2014 - Can't solve assembly with surface contact

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Kaarebh
1023 Views, 2 Replies

Autodesk Simulation Mechanical 2014 - Can't solve assembly with surface contact

Hey

I have a assembly of a universal joint  which I try to simulate in a static situation, and I solve for linear stress. I have some troubles getting some results when I use "surface contact" between my parts (see attached picture, set up). When I push simulate my computer just start solving and solving, but after 15 min. If comes up with some warnings, and after 8 hours it just keep repeating the same warnings. What is wrong? The funny thing is that it takes around 15 min. To solve the same situation just with bonded surfaces. And results looks very realistic 

Best regards

Kaare Bek Hansen

Mechanical student at University of Southern Denmark 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Stefan2653
in reply to: Kaarebh

Kaare,

Is the left linkage properly constrained where the shaft would connecto to it? If you don't have a translational constraint in X and Y there, that linkage will just flop around, resulting in the insufficient tie down error. When you bond the assembly, the left linkage is prevented from flopping and the solver will arrive at a solution, even without those translational constraints.

Stefan

Message 3 of 3
Kaarebh
in reply to: Stefan2653

Thank you for the advise.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report