Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Simulation in ASME Div 2 vessel analysis

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dharhay
670 Views, 2 Replies

Autodesk Simulation in ASME Div 2 vessel analysis

Morning,

I am looking into feasibility of company I work for getting our U stamp.  We have a line of vessels that are made off
site (but still in US) and we could bring in some of this work and gain some more control over the project’s timeline.

One thing is the analysis report; will we have any issues using the Autodesk Simulation in performing this analysis?  I am sure some of you out there have been in this position before and I am asking your input.  Like, during the ASME review,
would they balk at any aspect of this software?  Is there an issue with pulling out stresses or displacements for use in the ASME report?

Thanks for any input.  We like using the Autodesk Simulation, but we will do what we need to do to move forward.

Dave H
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
joe
Explorer
in reply to: dharhay

Dave,

My company uses Algor extensively to meet Section VIII Div 1 and Div 2 requirements in our Engineers Reports.

Most of our clients are government entities or large prime contractors / manufacturers who require us to meet certain QA requirements when we use any software in our calculations.  Because of this, we have established, and operate under, an NQA-1 program with these clients which includes maintaining records of the validation and verification of our software (Algor).  This process is cumbersome at times, but is really the only way that our results are able to be relied upon by our clients.

As you know, Div 1 requirements are fairly straightforward, and can be handled (for the most part) by off the shelf vessel analysis programs.  These make it very easy to see if the vessels pass or fail by simply inputting materials, thicknesses, welds, etc.  Div 2 requirements, however, tend to involve configurations and design details which are the exception to the rule, and therefore, do require more thorough analysis including making valid assumptions as to why the vessel meets applicable criteria.  In my experience, this often requires a PE stamped analysis report, whereas most "standard vessel" configurations can can be approved using a simple report print out from any number of off-the-shelf programs.

Message 3 of 3
dharhay
in reply to: joe

Thanks Joe for the response.  I have not heard of anyone using the Autodesk Simulation for this and it seems reasonable to do so.  I'll pass this on to my supervisor as one area we may not need to upgrade.

Dave H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report