Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Associativity between Inventor and Simulation - SURFACE BODIES

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
MattKurtze5538
1500 Views, 22 Replies

Associativity between Inventor and Simulation - SURFACE BODIES

Hello All

I am having issues with the associativity between Simulation 2012 and Inventor 2012 with SURFACE MODELS only.

When you bring a change over from inventor with a solid model all loads and material properties are retained.

However when models containing surface elements are updated all loads and material properties are lost. Is there a work around for this?

I have tried using assemblies with parts containing only surfaces, however Simulation refuses to accept this. It will only accept parts containing surfaces if they are not in assemblies.

I have tried using solid models and midplane meshing the results however the mesh quality at the joins between plates is not up to scratch.

This problem is costing me a lot of time.  I am dealing with complicated thin wall tanks and containers with large numbers of load cases.

Thanks

Matt Kurtze

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
scudelari
in reply to: hupn

I'll definately try this later!

Have a nice new year!

Message 22 of 23

I'm sorry to dig up a 2 year old post, but I think this needs more attention.

I had no idea until reading this that solid bodies offer the functionallity that allows you to change the model geometry in IV and re-importing it without re-applying part attributes constraints and loads.

The fact that this is still not offered for surface models 2 years later is really disapointing.

Why hasn't this been addressed?

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Message 23 of 23

After looking at this some more it seems like some of the functionality is there.

If I press the "Simulate in Autodesk Simulation" in Inventor, it will push the new geametry and keep the part definitions and material, but not the names.

I can use the read attributes function to reanme all the parts, but I can only get it to do 8 parts at a time.

The surface loads and constraints are removed.

Is there a reason Simulation does not use the surface body names when it imports parts?

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report