Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
mhr
Participant
2175 Views, 5 Replies

Analysis failed

I have just started to use Simulation Mechanical. I will use the software in i basic course i FEA.

I did most of the tutorials and find the software easy and pedagogical to use. Sometimes I failed to finish the analyze but after restarting the software the analyze succed, Smiley Happy

After the tutorials, I made some very simple truss systems. And  now all my analyzes failed. I even try to do the tutorial "Beam tower static stress analyze" over again but it failed.

I can't find any relevant informaiton from the report. 

I'm very confused and need some useful hints Smiley Frustrated

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Andrew.Sartorelli
in reply to: mhr

Hi MHR,

Which version of Simulation Mechanical are you using? You can determine this by going to the upper righthand corner in the Simulation Mechanical, clicking the down arrow, and then selecting about.

Have you tried running a check model?

If you are using 2015, make sure that you have the output bar enabled. You can check this by going to the view tab on the ribbon, clicking User Interface on the Visibility panel, and making sure there is checkmark next to Output Bar. The output bar will display the log files generated during the analysis and should include any error messages.

Once you determine any error messages generated,  I recommend that you search on knowledge.autodesk.com to see if there is a technical article about that problem.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 3 of 6
AstroJohnPE

Hi mhr,

Here are some suggestions and questions that may help someone determine what is occurring.

1. What version of Simulation Mechanical are you using?
  2. Problems can occur if the model is stored in a folder that has foreign characters. Please check that all of the folders that the model is under has "normal" characters: letters a through Z or numbers. The folder "C:\junk" or "C:\test" is good for testing such problems.
  3. An "analysis" is actually a multi-step process, so knowing in which step it fails can be helpful. The basic steps when you click "Analysis > Analysis > Run Simulation" are as follows:
  • create the solid mesh if the model contains CAD parts which have not been solid meshed. (not relvant to your beam model.) A meshing problem would be shown in the "Mesh > Mesh > View Mesh Results".
  • two steps convert the lines used to create the model/mesh into nodes and elements. This is the "Analysis > Analysis > Check Model" or "verification" portion of the analysis. If a problem occurs during one of these steps, the software should give you the opportunity to view the log file. These are text files named "ds.Ldd" and "group.Ldx" located under the folders "mymodelname.ds_data\design scenario number" and "mymodelname.ds_data\design scenario number\ds.mod", respectively. Use Notepad or any text editor to view the log files.
  • the actual analysis in which the processors read the nodes and elements, create the stiffness and load matrices, solve the matrices for the displacement, and calculate the stresses. This step creates two text log files "ds.L" and "ds.Log" for linear static stress analysis. Either of these files may have a clue as to the problem. These files can be viewed from the "Report" environment or with Notepad. (The names of the log files for other analysis types are listed on the page "File Extensions" in the help documentation.)
  • display the results in the Results environment. Sometimes a conflict occurs in the Results environment that prevents it from showing the model or results. So even though the analysis is technically complete, the fact that you cannot view the results could be called a "failed analysis". For this type of problem, from the FEA Editor, hold the shift key down and click the "Results" environment tab. This resets the Results environment to the default settings and hopefully bypasses any conflicts.

So, does the problem occur in any of these steps? If not, specifically when does it fail and what happens? What messages are given?

If you cannot find the solution, then I suggest that you create an archive of your model with the results (so that the archive includes all of the log files). Please see the post "Create, Post, or Provide an Archive of your model" for instructions.

Message 4 of 6
mhr
Participant
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Many thanks for your advices but my problem still remains.

- I'm using 2015

- Show output-bar is "on"

- I'm not using foreign characters. I've used a folder c:\test

- check model is ok if my model is correct. I even tried to do an uncorrect model where a boundarycondition were missing and I've got a opportunity to view the log fil, just as you said.

- the log files ds.l and ds.log does not excist. I can not find them in the model-folder. I have also marked the to be in the report (through report/configure) but they are not found but the report.

- finaly I also tried to solve an old model (tutorial) that I manage to solve before. I just change a load magnitude. Tryed to solve it once more but "analysis failed".

I'm very confused. It's a system of two trusses and three nodes. I can solve it by hand 🙂

Something with my computer?!?

If I have this kind of problem it's at risk some of my 40 students will have simular problem. 

Best regards,

Message 5 of 6
mhr
Participant
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

I think I have solved my problem.

I found a job manager at the notification area in Windows. 

All my failured analysis were acitve. I deleted them and after that I manage so solve my simple model.

Is there a simple answere to why my models get stuck in job manager?

Best regards,

Madeleleine

Message 6 of 6
zhuangs

Click "Check Model" to see whether there is ds.ldd file?  If there is ds.ldd file, open it and see whether there is any error message.

-Shoubing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report