Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

analysis did not result in any stress results

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
HeylPatterson
1219 Views, 14 Replies

analysis did not result in any stress results

hi!

long time reader first time poster Robot Happy

i recently installed 2012 suite. when i import inventor models, parts or assemblies, into simulation (algor) and run an analysis, i get the subject message. i have tried with several different models, even very simple parts. i looked through the analysis options thinking that maybe i just didn't have a box checked, but alas, no luck. the funny thing is i get displacement results. if you have displacements, you can calculate stresses.

has anyone else had this problem?

thank you for the help.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
S.LI
in reply to: HeylPatterson

When talking about no stress, do you mean zero-stress or nothing?

Is this Linear, frequency analysis or MES?

I guess there might be some analysis type without stress output.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 15
HeylPatterson
in reply to: S.LI

i mean no results, nothing. it is a simple linerar static analysis.

Message 4 of 15
S.LI

Got it.

For LSS, there should be stress shown.

Could you please share one of your model here, given that this happened even in the simple model?

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 15
HeylPatterson

this is the simple model. it is a tube with a pressure inside and supported at one end. as simple as it gets Smiley Wink

change the extension to .fem, i changed it to .doc in order to upload it. the autodesk discussion boards do not allow .fem files Man Surprised

Message 6 of 15
S.LI

only fem file is not enough, and you have to achive the whole model.

Message 7 of 15
HeylPatterson

check!

again, change the extension to .ach

Message 8 of 15
S.LI

It runs well in my ASIM2012 with both displacement and stress.

From your log file, I saw the model in your machine is:

Q:\Bulk Contracts\6883 - FLSmidth\Inventor\SAC\thrust roller bracket tube.ds_data\1\ds

I'm not sure if it's too long for stress calculation module (mknso.exe).

Please copy it to a simple directory, such as c:\temp, and have a try.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 15
HeylPatterson

lol, that did it. three days i was looking for a technical error, rying to run it on a colleagues computer, checking material props, etc.

and this is the problem Robot surprised  lol

thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 15
John_Holtz

Hi Heyl,

Is the Q: drive where you originally had your model a network drive? I do not know why that would affect the stress calculation, but I think this is the reason for the behavior you were seeing. (It is not unusual for companies to keep their CAD models on a network drive where everyone can access them. By default, the simulation model is put in the same location.) The software supports paths of approximately 240 characters.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 11 of 15
Shane7779

I am having the same issue. It only shows the displacement and not the stress in the analysis. I tried saving my file in different locations but that didn't help. HELP PLEASE! How did you fix this?

Message 12 of 15
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Shane7779

1. What type of analysis are you running?
  2. What version of the software are you using?
  3. What error messages, if any, are given in the log file and summary file. (These can be viewed from the Report environment.)
Message 13 of 15

Greetings:

The previous responsed did not help me - I have a similar proble to the ones already discussed.  Here is what I've done:

1.  I have a relatively simple flat plate with 6 holes.

2.  The constraints are fixed and are the interiors of the holes.

3.  I perform a modal analysis and get the frequencies

4.  Define a new scenario (random vib)  (all analysis is linear by the way)

5.  Edit the analysis parameters, have displacment data and stress data clicked, go on to the "Analysis Data" button

6.  Use modal results from scenario 1

7.  Set to g squared per Hz

8.  Cluster is clicked

9 Random vib input spectrum is "1-Input Spectrum 1, ID is 1, Title is "Input Spectrum 1"  (apparently all defaults)

10 PSD is in Z direction, no cross spectral densities selected

11. Entered the PSD, 20 Hz = 0.026, 50 Hz = 0.16, 800 Hz = 0.16, and 2000 = 0.026 (the list includes a blank line, cannot delete)

12.  Click OK, run the sim, get the message "The analysis of "blah blah blah" (the run file information).ds" did not result in any Displacement or Stress results!"

Note that the blah blah blah file information is long - my data is on a server and there are many characters including spaces in the folder location and the file name itself.

Hopefully you all have some suggestion that will get me back on track.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 15

Hi Bruce,

Some of the solvers in Simulation Mechanical are limited to ~120 characters for the path of the file. Could you try saving the file to location with a shorter path something like C:\Temp and see if that works? Also try removing any non-standard charcters that may appear in the path or filename, this would be characters like ø, æ, ß.

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 15 of 15

I think I figured this our - I watched a tutorial on this analysis and learned that the simulation will not be a success unless there is sufficient mass participation.  I increased the frequency span of the modal analysis such that there were 20 modes calculated.  This increased my three orthogonal mass participations to be greater than 80 percent.  Now the random vibe sim works.

Question (I will also be looking on the nets):  What is meant by Mass Participation?

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report