Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Algor vs Inventor Pro FEA

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2146 Views, 7 Replies

Algor vs Inventor Pro FEA

I am trying to weigh my options on whether purchasing Algor has much benifit vs Simulation in Inventor Pro. My company does a lot of structural analysis with steel members. What we are looking for is a program to do system analysis (assemblies). I haven't used Inventor Simulation since 2009 release (before Autodesk aquired Algor) and I know it only allowed part analysis.

So to get to the point what are the main advantages Algor has over Inventor Pro?

My company has a seat open for Inventor Pro open (I am currently running the Inventor Suite 2011 package), so is it worth getting the Algor Simulation?

Thanks in advance for any informaiton that it provided.

Adam

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Dan_Margulius
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

You need to know that there are 4 Algor packages:

1. A Algor Simulation
  2. A Algor Simulation CFD
  3. A Algor Simulation MES
  4. A Algor Simulation Professional

From what you are saying probably you need MES or Pro. I suggest you contact a reseller to show you all the options and then decide. The FEA in Inventor is only for static analysis.

Dan

Message 3 of 8

Hello,

I don't know the difference between the two products but I think the IV Simulation bases upon Algor or at least will base.

I'm not sure if you need MES or Pro for structural analysis (dynamic or static, linear or non-linear materials).

For linear, elastic materials Algor Simulation is sufficient.

I agree with Dan. Contact your reseller, make a list of requirements and have a look at a test version.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: nonamepicked

I am curious with the purchase of Algor by Autodesk how the Inventor's FEA will change in the future?  Very possibly there will be a large increase in functions such that the Linear Algor will only exist within Inventor.

Maybe a wait and see is the best option.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Adam,

A live demo with your reseller will be most helpful in studying the fit to your needs.

My opinion is, the immediate differences are the pre-processing options and the CAD integration with Inventor.

For Inventor Simulation, it is probably useful to designers for quick analysis of considerations and also perform optimization to meet specifications, where it has been proven to be sufficient for following respective in-house design guidelines. Accomodating modifications and updates directly with Inventor CAD data is an advantage. However, study and analysis of various scenarios can be limited from the modelling options available.

For Algor, It has a very rich choice of elements to choose from, which includes beam / truss elements for modelling that may be useful to you. Algor has more options on the modelling of scenarios in my opinion to study various loads and influences, as well as frequency and vibration analysis. It also is able to analyze influences like centrifugal and thermal loads straight out of the basic Algor Simulation. The current solid 3D CAD association is via Fusion for 3D.

Message 6 of 8
shakeel.mirza

Hi ADD29,

Inventor Pro 2011 works on solid model and has Linear Static Stress and modal analysis. This means that for a single part or assemblies designed or imported in Inventor, you can carryout stress calculations for loads that dont vary over time. You can also calculate the natural frequencies and mode shapes of that model. You can quickly evaluate different parametric configurations of your design using Inventor.

For other types of simulation (Non-linear, Dynamic, fluid, thermal) you'll need Algor 2011 which goes far beyond static and modal analysis.

If your company has Inventor Pro available, I would highly recommend to start using it first. This will help you evaluate Inventor Simulation and your needs as well. Once you've a better idea of what features are available for your application you'll be able to decide if you need Algor or not.

Regards,

Shakeel

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: shakeel.mirza

I'm needing to find out which package i'll need for vibration analysis...can INV Sim or SWX do this or do i need to purchase an algor licence

Message 8 of 8
Dan_Margulius

Hello,

Algor can do vibration analysis for you.

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report