Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Algor underutilizing CPU power

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
woolld
1123 Views, 10 Replies

Algor underutilizing CPU power

Hello, we have recently begun using Algor Simulation MES on the following machine:

- intel i7 3.2Ghz

- 12Gb RAM

- 64 bit Windows 7

When running any mesh or analysis the CPU is underutilized running at best 30%. We have turned hyperthreading off but still not improvement. Any ideas on what else could be causing a restraint?

thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alan_H
in reply to: woolld

Couple of ideas to check out.  Get Process Explorer (Sysinternals) and look at what each core is doing during the mesh / analysis.  I suspect you'll see one of the cores running fairly hard with dimenishing returns on each subsequent core.  Also pay attention to the I/O going on.   IO to the hard drive is much slower and you may just be seing latency due to read/writes occuring to the solution database.

The only time I really see my system running really hard is when I do fairly small FEA's or extremely large models that utilize the AMG solver.  Everything else typically runs in the range you describe.

Message 3 of 11
S.LI

How many cores are in your intel i7?

Which version of Autodesk Simulation do you test?

For products 2011 and older, the default setting is to use all cores in your system. In 2012, the default setting is to use the minimum of 8 or total number cores in your system.

For example, if there are 32 cores in your machine, 8 is 25%. So you never see a percentage more than 25% in default.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 4 of 11
John_Holtz
in reply to: S.LI

Just to clarify S.Li's post, the MES analysis uses multiple cores, at least for some of the functions within the analysis phase. The user can specify how many to use from the "Setup > Model Setup > Parameters" command, then "Advanced > Other > Number of threads/cores".

Meshing only uses 1 core at this time. We are investigating ways to use multiple cores.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 11
SaMurgie
in reply to: John_Holtz

Yes, I suspect that you have 4 cores.  Hence during meshing and at some points during solution, only one core (25%) will be utilized.  However during most matrix solutions, you should see close to 100% utilization.

Message 6 of 11
dgarcia.wb

I had the same issue, and my solution to visibly observe an increase of CPU throughput to around 80~100% during simulation was to disable Hyper-Threading mode in the bios when using an Intel processor. After speaking with product support, it seems that Hyper-Threading is not compatible from my understanding.

Build

Xeon 3.4GHz (Quad)

8Gb RAM

Win 7 x64

Message 7 of 11
SaMurgie
in reply to: dgarcia.wb

I strongly recommend NOT to use Hyperthreading for ASIM.  There is a recent thread on this topic in this forum.

Message 8 of 11
woolld

Hello,

Yes, I am seeing approx 25% during meshing since there are 4 cores. I gather that this is the most I can expect. Does simulation 2012 still only use a single core for meshing?

thanks for the feedback

ps I have hyperthreading off.

Message 9 of 11
SaMurgie

Yes Adsk Sim 2012 still uses only 1 thread/core

Message 10 of 11
SaMurgie
in reply to: SaMurgie

to be precise...only uses one core for meshing...parts of the solvers will use all cores available

Message 11 of 11
kwd73
in reply to: John_Holtz

John:

Any idea when Simulation Mechanical will be able to run multiple cores when meshing ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report