Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

algor- multiphysics (very simple-liquid in a pipe)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
williamx11373
686 Views, 2 Replies

algor- multiphysics (very simple-liquid in a pipe)

I want to have a liquid in a pipe and run it in algor multiphysics.

the liquid will give off heat to the pipe.

how do I go about this ??

do I draw a cylinder inside a hollow cylinder in inventor assembly and then mesh the liquid part as in fluid flow, and then mesh the solid pipe as a regular solid ?

or do I mesh both together  at the same time ?

im very confused please help.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
S.LI
in reply to: williamx11373

If the behavior of the liquid is your concern only, and you don't care the solid part, you can just mesh the liquid part and replace the solid part with appropriate boundary conditions.

If you want to see how the liquid and solid affect each other, I guess Algor can only do one-way coupling. For examples, to get temperature/pressure distributions based on liquid, and then apply this temperature/pressure to the solid part as a kind of thermal/force load. In this case, you have to model both of the two parts, but maybe in two separated Design Scenarios.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Message 3 of 3
Joey.X
in reply to: S.LI

It depends on your simulation purpose; the simulation modeling always comes from the real world physical model but should have reasonable assumptions.

A liquid in pipe sounds a simple physical model, but it may be complicated numerical model depending on the many possible purposes. I can image cases such as

(a) Pipe thermal stress due to temperature distribution;

(b) Liquid flushing in a tank (image a gas tank);

(c) Pipe stress due to liquid reaction force from liquid gravity or motion

Since you mentioned liquid heat to pipe, guess that you were probably asking about the case (a).  here are the workflow in Algor Multiphysics simulation

(1)  Import CAD model with at least two parts (liquid part and pipe part).

(2)  In DS (design scenario) 1, select thermal analysis, both parts could be activated and the contact surfaces between parts could be bonded (default) or specified as thermal contact.

Specify thermal boundary conditions and run analysis to get thermal result.

(3) Copy DS1 to make DS2(design scenario 2), change analysis to structure analysis such linear stress or MES,  in global parameter window, specify thermal loading from the result in DS1, specify other constraints and loads, run analysis.

The thermal load from temperature distribution is automatically handled in solver to count the effect of thermal stress.

Other notes in modeling:

-   DS1 and DS2 allow dissimilar mesh type and mesh density;

-   DS1 and DS2 allow different # of parts, in other words, i.e., some parts could be deactivated; the thermal load will be passed in shared parts only.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report