Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advices for thermal-induced stress analysis on midplane mesh

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
martin_madaj
474 Views, 4 Replies

Advices for thermal-induced stress analysis on midplane mesh

Hello, I‘m trying to run a simple thermal stress analysis on a single part according to the scheme below.

thermal-stress_scheme.png

X and Z DOFs are constranined, Y DOFs are free.

First I ran Steady-State Heat Transfer Analysis with some convection and heat source in the small hole applied. Next I tried to run Static Stress with Non-Linear Material Models (material model is Thermoelastic) to determine the thermally induced stress.

When I run this simulation (Static Stress with NLM models) with solid (brick) elements, everything is OK, when I try to run this simulation with midplane mesh, the simulation does not converge.

Are there any specific settings to get this type of simulation with midplane mesh done?

Thanks, Martin Madaj.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
zhuangs
in reply to: martin_madaj

Hi Martin,

When you ran this simulation with midplane mesh, which element type are you using? Shell element?  Moreover, about the the boundary condictions on both right side and left side, how did you define?  If all the nodes on the two side are fully fixed for brick elements, then rotation should also be fixed for midplane mesh case.

-Shoubing

Message 3 of 5
martin_madaj
in reply to: zhuangs

Hi Shoubing,

thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm using the shell elements. The boundary conditions on the both sides has been defined the same as on the on the brick model - constrained X a Z translations with free Y translation. I've also tried to fix the rotation as you suggested but with no positive effect on simulation results. It always gets stuck at the first timestep, see the picture below...

shell_thermal_stress.jpg

Martin

Message 4 of 5
zhuangs
in reply to: martin_madaj

The model is symmetric.  You can fix the Y- for the nodes in the symmetric middle line.

-Shoubing

Message 5 of 5
martin_madaj
in reply to: zhuangs

FInally I managed to do the simulation but I don't know what was wrong - I succesfully completed the full model simulation and also the symmetric model simulation. Maybe the problem was related to the Simulation Mechanical version... I was able to complete the simulations in the lastest release Simulation Mechanical R1 (Build 2015.20.00.0207 23-Jul-2014).

Martin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report