Discussion Groups

Simulation Mechanical and Multiphysics

lardj

Add preload to full bolt model?

633 Views, 2 Replies
12-15-2011 10:46 PM

In reading through the help section I see the option mentioned to, Model the fastener with brick elements.  Basically import a model of the bolt, most likely simplified, and use it.  I've done this in Ansys Workbench and applied preload to the bolt model.  Is that possible in Simulation 2012?  I know we can apply preload to a beam element representation of a bolt, but I wanted to do it to a simplified bolt model.

If it can't be done directly are there any recommendations of how to fake a preload on a bolt model, like with thermal loads or a separate external load?

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
Mentor
M.Peppel

Re: Add preload to full bolt model?

12-16-2011 01:01 AM in reply to: lardj

Hi ladrj,

I suggest to not model and import the bolts, just use the bolted connection generator (see help files or web wiki for more inofrmation) inside the Simulation software.

Cheers

Matthias 

Nihil Ex Nihilo
Please use plain text.
Employee
S.LI

Re: Add preload to full bolt model?

12-16-2011 05:05 AM in reply to: lardj

This is the WIKI page talking about bolt/fasteners/beam pre-load etc., even a little bit modifying bolts in CAD models.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Autodesk_Simulation/enu/2012/Help/0113-Mesh_Mod113/0114-Mesh_Ove114/011...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".
Please use plain text.