Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add preload to full bolt model?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
lardj
1060 Views, 2 Replies

Add preload to full bolt model?

In reading through the help section I see the option mentioned to, Model the fastener with brick elements.  Basically import a model of the bolt, most likely simplified, and use it.  I've done this in Ansys Workbench and applied preload to the bolt model.  Is that possible in Simulation 2012?  I know we can apply preload to a beam element representation of a bolt, but I wanted to do it to a simplified bolt model.

If it can't be done directly are there any recommendations of how to fake a preload on a bolt model, like with thermal loads or a separate external load?

Thanks for the help.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
M.Peppel
in reply to: lardj

Hi ladrj,

I suggest to not model and import the bolts, just use the bolted connection generator (see help files or web wiki for more inofrmation) inside the Simulation software.

Cheers

Matthias 

Nihil Ex Nihilo
Message 3 of 3
S.LI
in reply to: lardj

This is the WIKI page talking about bolt/fasteners/beam pre-load etc., even a little bit modifying bolts in CAD models.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Autodesk_Simulation/enu/2012/Help/0113-Mesh_Mod113/0114-Mesh_Ove114/011...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this response answers your concern, please mark it as "solved".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report