Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
659 Views, 4 Replies

3D helical curve

Hi all,

Can anyone please kindly enlighten me on how to generate a 3D helical curve in Algor?

I could not find any function to do this, hence I tried to generate the helical curve in other CAD software and exported it in IGES format. But Algor can only import the model in wireframe IGES format, which cannot be treated as meshable object.

I intend the mesh the helical curve with beam elements.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Pin

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Pin,

If you want to create beam elements, then an IGES wireframe is what you want to use! You do not want to import a solid model if you want beam elements. A beam element is just a straight line at the centroid of the cross section. So, the CAD drawing should be a helix of one line. (If you can split the helix into smaller straight-line segments in the CAD, that will make it easier.)

After setting the "Files of type" on the Open dialog, click the "Options..." button before choosing the filename. On the IGES Wireframe import options, make sure "Import as 2-D objects" is not checked. Then choose the filename.

FYI: You should be able to import IGES files that contain a solid model. Under "Files of type", you should see entries for "IGES" and "Wireframe IGES". The first one is for the solid models.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. Actually I did open the model as Wireframe IGES and unchecked the "Import as 2-D objects", but couldn't proceed with meshing, please have a look on the attached image, which shows what happened.

Best regards,

Pin

Message 4 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

"Mesh > Structured Mesh > Divide One Object"

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John,

Yes got it !

Thanks and best regards,

Pin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report