Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
mikebscott
483 Views, 4 Replies

2D Mesh Refinement

I am currently meshing a 2D drawing of a comb drive for a MEMS device, and looking for the voltage and magnetic forces.  As such, I would like to have a fine mesh between the plates of the combs.  I tried dividing the edges of the combs, but this only refines the mesh of one of the combs, and does not affect the air between the combs or the other comb.  The mesh edge division is specified for all three of the parts, on each of edges of the comb plates. 

I've attached the close up of one of the combs.  The grey is the air, and the green and red regions are the combs.  The mesh on the green comb appears as desired, but the mesh on the air and the red comb are too sparse.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: mikebscott

Hi Mike,

I can think of two possibilities.

1) Did you mesh the parts one at a time, or all at the same time? They need to be meshed at the same time. (Right-click on the "Planes > Plane 2 <YZ>" branch, choose "Select all planes", then you can generate the mesh.)

2) Because there are shared lines along each edge -- one line for each part -- the Edge Divisions need to be specified for both sets of lines. Hopefully, you can use a combination of rectangle selection and Shift+Ctrl+rectangle selection to get only the long edges of the air and combs.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 5
mikebscott
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thanks, but the problem did not resolve.

I am meshing all of the parts at the same time.  I also made sure to select all of the longer lines of the combs in all three relevant parts.  After remeshing, the result is the same.  

The part that is meshing correctly is part number 1.  Perhaps this has something to do with it?

Message 4 of 5
John_Holtz

You are probably correct that part 1 is somehow involved, but I have no idea why.

If you can, create an archive of your model, change the extension from .ach to .zip, and attach it to a reply. (See "Create, Post, or Provide an Archive of your model".) I will take a look to see if I notice anything.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 5 of 5
mikebscott

Sorry it has been a couple of days, I hope you are still willing to help me out.

I've attempted to attach the archive, but the file is too large (even after changing the file type and deleting the other files in the ds_mod folder)

Any other way I can give it to you?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report