Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D axisymmetric force load - divided or not?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
kmeldfreyssinet
4229 Views, 7 Replies

2D axisymmetric force load - divided or not?

Hi,

I was trying to find this information however I am not totally sure how it is.

If I do 2D axisymmetrical analysis than if I have a force load shell I put value that is true for whole elements or for 1 radian like elements are assumed?

I would put value for whole part and let software divide it for me. But am not sure after what I read. This may be to translation issues.

Cris.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi Cris,

In a 2D axisymmetric analysis, the magnitude of a nodal force is the load per radian. So divide the total load in the full revolution by 2*pi.

Message 3 of 8

Hi,

I am trying to apply load to the edge not node.

I suppose situation is the same. Is it?

I have also encountered other problems. My analysis fails when run. But I get not information about cause of this error.

Could you have a quick look and point me in the right direction?

Cris.

Message 4 of 8

Actually, you are applying a pressure (not a force) to a surface of the model (not an edge, although it is fair to call it an edge of the mesh). I prefer to think in terms of the model in order to make the terminology compatible with the 3D geometry that is really being analyzed. (A nodal force applied to a single node of the mesh is treated as applied to an edge of the model. This would be equivalent to selecting an edge of a 3D CAD model and applying an edge force.)

Only nodal type loads in a 2D axisymmetric analysis need to be divided by 2pi because the magnitude over a full revolution is different than the magnitude over 1 radian. The magnitude of a pressure is the same whether it is the full revolution, 1 radian, or any other portion. This is also true when using symmetry in a 3D CAD model. You would apply the same pressure magnitude regardless of the portion modeled (1/4 symmetry, 1/8 symmetry, etc), but you would divide the total force applied to an edge by 4 or 8, respectively.

I presume the "failure" that you refered to is the abnormal results. The analysis you provided runs and gives results, so there is no reason that the processor would give any messages. (True, the processor could detect that the displacement is much larger than the size of the model and likely indicates an error with the setup, but the software is not programmed to do that.) The wireframe arc on the bottom of part 2 is not split so that it a duplicate of part 3, so the mesh does not match between parts 2 and 3. Since they do not match, the parts are free to move independently of each other. Please fix the wireframe directly in Simulation. Now that the DXF geometry is in Simulation, I suggest that you not worry about fixing the DXF file.

After fixing the geometry to get common edges between adjacent parts, the next issue that you will encounter is that some of the nodes are off by a very small amount. (That's the problem with math and computers: 2+2 doesn't necessarily equal 4!). The nodes along the centerline of the model were creating an error during the analysis, probably because some were a very small negative value. (Transforming a coordinate from the DXF file that is almost 0 in the XY plane to the YZ plane in Simulation results in a non-zero coordinate.) You can select the vertices along the centerline, right-click, and choose "Project". That is hort for "projection", not "project" as in "my project inclues performing an analysis". You can then project (move) these nodes to Y=0 so that they are on the theoretical centerline of the model.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for replay. I will look in to this in the morning.

As for pressure and force. Thanks for explanation although I very well know the difference Smiley Happy. In my first post I was asking if force is to be divided but before I got the answer I decided to go with a pressure as this dosen't have to be "scaled". So not being sure if force has to be put for 2Pi or 1rad pressure was the safe choice.

On my machine trying to run this analysis I only got "Simulation had faile" and no results. Displacements were "not avialable" as every other type of result.

I will let you know how I did with repairing geometry.

Message 6 of 8

Hi,

Sorry but I can not figure it how to repair this geometry directly in Simulation.

I managed to project vertices.

I can not however find any way to intersect this arc. Can you give me some basic instructions?

Also my initial, problem with failing to finish simulation can be connected with running from network location. I have downloaded this bat file an I will see it this helps.

Cris.

Message 7 of 8

Hi,

I finally managed to fix the model and install this fix for network analysis and checked if job manager is running.

But still can not get any results out of it.

In attachment there is new analysis data, and below is the link to video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5n1uvJYVGboWk5QOVl6TFR6aWM/view?pli=1

Cris.

Message 8 of 8

Hi,

When I copy simulation locally it works

So I consider this topic closed. And start anther one.

Thank you for support.

Cris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report