Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 MES analysis error due to file name.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1388 Views, 7 Replies

2015 MES analysis error due to file name.

MES analysis fails, when a file name contains period. For example same STEP models are

named 'LPlate1.stp' and 'LPlate.1.stp'. The two files are different only names (same geometry).

Former step model can be succesfully performed MES analysis, but later step model cannot.

Is this a technical issue in ASMECH 2015?

Two step files and two archive files are zipped and attached.

-----Log message of MES analysis for 'LPlate.1.stp' is followings;

Autodesk(R) Simulation Mechanical Event Simulation (MES)
Version 2015.00.00.0517-W64/X64 26-Feb-2014
Copyright (c) 2014, Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.

** Error: the model is not available for this type of analysis!
** Error (-2)
** Job started : 0-00-00 00:00:00
** Job finished : 2014-05-13 18:51:54
** Total elapsed time : 0 (seconds)
!! Program aborted !

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
KubliJ
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for pointing out the issue, it does appear that this is a issue with the program.  I have logged this with development.  If you currently have a model that has a period in it, the simplest solution is to use Save as and save the model under a new name without any decimal points.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 3 of 8
mtessier

I have been having the same issue.  We use Creo / ProEngineer, which save the file format as model.prt.3, where the number is the instance of the model.

I can get the analysis to run by erasing the instance number (model.prt) in Windows Explorer.

Message 4 of 8
michael.strain

Hi all, I'm having a similar problem. Except my file name doesn't contain a period. Could there be another reason why this error is happening?

Help!

Thanks,

Mike

Message 5 of 8
John_Holtz
in reply to: michael.strain

Hi Mike, Here are a couple of questions and ideas.

1. When you say that you are having a similar problem, is the problem occurring right after the analysis portion begins like the original post? (An "analysis" consists of 2 or 3 stages: (1) meshing the solid parts if necessary, (2) converting the lines, loads and constraints added in the FEA Editor into "words" the solver can understand, and (3) performing the analysis.)
  2. Is the error message the same or something different? (You can view the text from the log file from the Report tab.)
  3. What is the filename and path (list of folders) to where the model is stored?

"Filename" problems can be related to the name of the model or the name of the path where the model is stored (starting with the drive letter, like C:, all the way through all of the folders down to where the model is stored.) Make sure the model is stored on your hard drive, not on a network drive. If there are any non-English characters in the filename or foldername, that could be a problem. (Letter and numbers, and the characters such as @%^& that Windows supports should be acceptable.)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 6 of 8
michael.strain
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried what you said about the entire directory, and just saved a copy of the model in a new folder, directly under my C: drive. Same error occurred. Here's what my run log looks like.

C:\Testing\Test1.fem

Autodesk(R) Simulation Mechanical Event Simulation (MES)
Version 2016.02.00.1323-W64/X64 04-Nov-2015
Copyright (c) 2015, Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.

** Error: the model is not available for this type of analysis!
** Error (-2)
** Job started : 0-00-00 00:00:00
** Job finished : 2016-05-19 10:59:30
** Total elapsed time : 0 (seconds)

I should also mention that I'm running 2016 rather than 2015 like the original post.

Thanks for the help so far.

Mike

Message 7 of 8
John_Holtz

Hi Mike,

The only other thought that comes to mind is that the model does not exist! Let me explain.

When you run an analysis, the software does multiple steps:

1. Meshes the solid parts (if it is a CAD model and any parts have a surface mesh but not an internal solid mesh)
  2. Check model, which converts the lines, loads, and constraints shown in the FEA Editor into a format that the solver understand.
  3. Runs the analysis.

If step 1 or 2 fails, the process should terminate and give some type of message. My suspicion is that one of those steps if failing but does not terminate the process. So if step 2 doesn't make the model, then the solver cannot find the model in step 3. To test this hypothesis, do a check model ("Analysis > Analysis > Check Model"). If the model appears in the Results environment, then the model exists. If it does not appear, I'm hoping that it will give a message that will help diagnose the problem.

If the check model gives a message that you need help with, you can either paste the text into a reply, or create an archive of your model and attach it (the .ACH file) to a reply. See "Create, Post, or Provide an Archive of your model" for details.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Mike,

Although you have no period in your filename and folder name, you have Error(-2), right.  

Would you try to remesh generation and run-simulation again?

akihiro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report