Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2-D Weldment Model Tutorial

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
karthur1
2443 Views, 6 Replies

2-D Weldment Model Tutorial

I'm going through the tutorial 2-D Weldment Model.  Followed it step by step (actually did it twice)  My results do not look like the results in the tutorial and I noticed it is because the welds are not "attached" to the horizontal member.  You can tell by the way the mesh lines are not connected between the weld and the horizontal member. 

I must be missing something very simple.

How do I get the weld connected here?

2010-12-20_1605.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Sualp.Ozel
in reply to: karthur1

Here is what you missed:

Intersect the Vertical and Horizontal Parts

For the mesh to match where the welds meet the horizontal and vertical parts, we must create more intersections.

1. Click the  Geometry: Tools: Intersect command.
    • Click the diagonal line of the upper weld and press Enter.
    • Click the upper-right vertical line of the vertical part, click the upper-horizontal line of the horizontal part, and press Enter.
  2. Click the  Geometry: Tools: Intersect command.
    • Click the diagonal line of the lower weld and press Enter.
    • Click the lower-right vertical line of the vertical part, click the lower-horizontal line of the horizontal part, and press Enter.

Best Regards

Sualp Ozel, P.E.

Product Manager

Digital Simulation

Autodesk Inc.

Message 3 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: Sualp.Ozel

I had already done those steps, but for some reason it will not attach.  Here is a small clip that shows the different lines.

http://screencast.com/t/wfRABnmd4T

When I run the analysis, I get this:

2010-12-21_0721.png

Message 4 of 7
Sualp.Ozel

please create an Algor Archive file and attach it to this tread. I will take a look at this model for you and see what you are missing

Message 5 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: Sualp.Ozel

Here is the file.

Message 6 of 7
nvengineer

When you mesh it, do you do each part indivisually or do you mesh it all at the same time?  Maybe try this:  In the FEA Editor, right click on the Plane 2 < YZ(+X) > plane and select 'Select All Sketches'.  Then with all of the shapes highlighted go to Mesh>Create 2d Mesh then modify the values and click 'Apply'.  This should create the correct intersections (for lack of a better word) for the mesh.

Message 7 of 7
Sualp.Ozel

I looked at your Archive file and it was clear to me that you meshed this geometry prior to intersecting the lines.

But I also saw that you did infact intersect the lines as I recommended.

At this point All you need to do is to remesh your model and the mesh connectivity will be finalized. Please refer to the below image.

2D Mesh again.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report