Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st order elements not available

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Inv_kaos
317 Views, 1 Reply

1st order elements not available

Hey,

Is it possible to run 1st order elements in Sim 2012? I like to be able to run first order elements when I quickly check my reactions and displacements but I only see 2nd, 3rd and 4th order as an option for solid brick and tet. I then use second order for my longer more accurate stress runs.

If this isn't possible can anyone suggest how they simplify the number of DOF to do this type of work? I can only coarsen the mesh so much on particular types of geometry.

Cheers

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
qzhu
in reply to: Inv_kaos

Hi, when talking about element integration points, 2 in each direction (what you referred to as 2nd order) is already the minimum. A single integration point, under general loading condition, is not stable. The element has to have special stability control, which is not currently available, in order to be able to take advantage of single integration point.

If you want to speed up the simulation for model checking but don't want to coarsen the mesh, I would try: 1. simplify loads and boundary condition; 2. disable non-critical contact; 3. disable certain parts and change it to rigid if applicable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report