Discussion Groups
New Idea
1 Kudo

Hi Dean,     

I've come across another quirky aspect of Composite Design that

probably only relates to Wing Geometry / Spar Design but I'm sure it makes

a difference in the Lay-up calculations, specifically in the Weight and

Height of an "I Beam" Spar. Here's my dilemma....     

With the current I-Beam geometry, the thickness of the 2 Horiz. and 1

Vert. plane of the I-Beam are based on the Laminate thickness specified in

the Laminate Tab. They are uniform over the entire beam cross section. This

can be problematic when designing a very small Spar...example:  approx.4mm

in height, 8mm Horiz. width and .5mm thick. Because the current I-Beam

Geometry carries the .5mm thickness over the entire "I" cross section, I

have to reduce the height of the Vert. section by 1mm so it will fit into a

Rotor/Wing section. By reducing the Vert. height I am unable to calculate a

"True" Max. Deflection value.     

Ideally, being able to adjust the thickness of the Horiz. planes of the

I-Beam would enable me to calculate a more precise Spar using the correct

height. A typical Spar Lay-up for me would be so: ]!!!![ (single woven CF

layers L&R with 4 or 5 layers UD in the middle). The Horiz. planes of the

I-Beam would typically be from .06mm to .1mm thick.     

The 1mm may not sound like much in the grand scheme of things but it

can make a huge difference in a small high load Spar/Wing Structure as it

can equate to 200+mm³ of Laminate along the Spar.    

I don't know if it's possible to change the I-Beam Geometry or

not...It's just another thing that would make us "Aircraft" guy's lives a

little easier...

1 Kudo
dean.rose

Filled tube for beam bending

by Product Support on ‎11-04-2013 04:02 PM

User would like the ability to model a filled tube. Currently the best way to do this is to define the laminate with the filling radius as the layer 1 thickness. Then for the radius geometry input a very small number to mimic zero in order to approximate a filled tube design. 

Applications are with concrete filled tubes and beams in the construction industry.

1 Kudo

Can a comment field in the material properties window? Many values are assumed because data sheets can be very vague. I would like an opportunity to save comments about the material they create and use. This helps with trace-ability for project requirements and helps improve data reliability.

0 Kudos
briand

Different compressive & tensile moduli

by briand on ‎05-12-2014 10:19 AM

I am needing to predict deflection in various composite geometries.  Material properties are typically known from data sheets and testing.

The tensile and compressive moduli are often different and this can have a significant effect on part deflection.

Unfotunately ASCD has only one input for E11, and does not have different inputs for +E11 and -E11.

If you could inlcude these inputs on the next version of the software that would be really helpful.

0 Kudos

Many users ask if the material library can be improved to include hybrid composites. Often times these are comprised of combinations of glass, carbon and/or kevlar. 

Do any users have specifics about a particular material they would like to see supported in Simulation Composite Design. Please include information about the material and any available information we may use to verify results. This will help our user community as well as the development of Simulation Composite Design.

0 Kudos

Enhancement of this feature, it would be useful if Autodesk Design had ability to specify temperature for lamina / laminate material coefficients.  Example: we use modulus at 5 or more temperatures for our simulations of engine components.

Currently, the user must create the laminate  for a given temperature, import into ANSYS, then manually give it a temperature.  Then, he has to do this for a second temperature of the same laminate, import, then cut and paste, add to the material card at the first material, and input the 2nd temperature value.

0 Kudos
R&DFreak

Tube Geometry / Analysis

by R&DFreak on ‎10-22-2013 12:49 PM

As a Non-Engineer working in Experimental Aircraft R&D I find Composite Design a great tool...It saves me Hours of work by letting me play with Composite Skin and Spar Layups for Wings and Rotor Blades before I start Prototyping. The biggest drawback from the Aircraft side is the lack of proper Tube Geometry. Currently I have to analyse a potental Layup with an Ellpise and a Rectangle so my "True" numbers lie somewhere inbetween. The addition of  a "Teardrop"  form would help all of us that play with flying things.... Another suggestion for us "Aircraft" guys would be allowing us to place a Spar "I Beam" into the Wing section and then calculate the Maximum Deflection based on the Spar stiffness in conjunction with the Skin Properties. These two features would in my opinion reveloutionize Composite Design for those of us who don't work at Boeing or Airbus and have access to (or know how to use an FEA Program). 

Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.