Helius Composite Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Helius Composite Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Helius Composite topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enquiries on Simulation CFD

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
christylim_siyin
908 Views, 2 Replies

Enquiries on Simulation CFD

Hi.

I am using the Autodesk Simulation Composite Design 2014 software.

Under the progressive failure result, I have selected the following

Failure Criterion - Hashin. 
Load Type - Strain
Axial Load X(mm/mm) - 0.1
Coordinate System - Global
E11 - 0.1 

However, I have problems trying to understand the following:

The graph show that it accelerates uniformly upwards and it rupture. However, it continues to accelerate to an even higher stress value after it has ruptured(Refer to Picture1 as attached).

Secondly, why is there a sudden drop in the graph as shown in Picture2 as attached?

I would like to know why is this so?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Christy

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi Christy,

The area in Picture 1 that shows the significant load drop should correlate with the tabulated information. If you click the Remove Non Fails button you should see a list of all the failed plies and the increment they failed at. Compare that list to the layup and if all the plies have failed then realistically your material has suffered a catastrophic and completely failure. This will render it unable to carry any more load although the plot would indicate so.

The second image show a slight deviation in stiffness. This stiffness would most likely correlate with a few of the plies in your layup failing before the maximum loading is achieved. Again you can confirm this failure and the plies affected by looking at the tabulated results.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Dean Rose
Message 3 of 3

Hi

Would like to understand more from the drop as attach.

Will the drop likely to be fiber failure or matrix failure?

Regards

Christy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report