Helius PFA Forum (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Helius PFA Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Helius PFA topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting-Abaqus-Environment-File-To-Increase-Abaqus-Viewer-Font-Size

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
dean.rose
11105 Views, 1 Reply

Adjusting-Abaqus-Environment-File-To-Increase-Abaqus-Viewer-Font-Size

This was originally posted by Dan Milligan, but I wanted to take the opportunity to recreate this post so we can expand on some of the functionality for some of our Autodesk Simulation Composite Analysis users.

This week I will take a short break from the composites related content I have been writing about over the past few weeks to address an issue that has become slightly annoying with the latest releases of Abaqus/Viewer.  In the most recent versions of Abaqus/Viewer (6.10-x and up I believe) the default font size for the legend and the title/state blocks is so small that it is almost unreadable (even for my relatively young eyes...).  Inside of Abaqus/Viewer, adjusting the font size is very simple:

1. Click on "Viewport" in the top Menu Bar

2. Select "Viewport Annotation Options"

3. Click on either the "Legend", "Title Block", or "State Block" tabs

4. Click on the "Set Font..." button to adjust the font

5. You can even change all 3 at once by checking on the "Legend",  "Title Block", or "State Block" check boxes under the "Apply To" heading

However, doing this process each time you open Viewer is rather annoying.  To automatically set the font size to a larger size each time view opens, you can modify the Abaqus environment file.  For those that do not know what this is, it is a text file called "abaqus_v6.env" that is located in the Site folder of the Abaqus install directory (typically C:\SIMULIA\Abaqus\6.11-1\site or something similar).  The following 5 lines can be added to the bottom of the environment file so that the font size is larger by default.  I have found size 12 to be adequate and the following lines reflect that (however a larger number can be entered):

def onCaeStartup():
 session.viewports['Viewport: 1'].viewportAnnotationOptions.setValues(
    legendFont='-*-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-*-*', 
    titleFont='-*-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-*-*', 
    stateFont='-*-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-*-*')

Try to copy and paste the lines exactly like they are shown above, but if it is not possible, make sure the spacing (especially the indentation) and content is correct.  If these lines are entered incorrectly, Abaqus/Viewer may not start up correctly.  Don't worry though, you can't screw anything up.  If you are having problems and just can figure out what is being input incorrectly, you can simply delete the above lines and everything will be fine.  For the super paranoid, simply make a backup copy of your environment file before trying this...

With the def onCaeStarup(): line, many other default settings can be adjusted so that your Abaqus 'environment' is set up just the way you like.  Section 17.19 in the Abaqus Scripting Reference Manual provides many other Viewport Annotation Options commands and by opening your Abaqus replay (.rpy) file after you perform a series of adjustments in Viewer, you can view additional commands that set up your Viewer experience.

Dean Rose
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dean.rose
in reply to: dean.rose

A user Jeff asks

is there a script that can be added in the environment file for defaulting the deformation scalar to 1 rather than some random number?

Yes there is.

Section 35.2 details some of the available settings for plot states. Here is an example of my env file and the resulting output

def onCaeStartup():
 session.viewports['Viewport: 1'].viewportAnnotationOptions.setValues(
     legendFont='-*-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-*-*',
     titleFont='-*-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-*-*',
     stateFont='-*-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-*-*')
# import visualization
 session.viewports['Viewport: 1'].odbDisplay.commonOptions.setValues(
     deformationScaling=UNIFORM,
     uniformScaleFactor=1.0)

CommonPlotOptions.png

If you are an ABAQUS user I invite you to add your solutions and tips. If you are a composite analyst I invite you to post a question for the community.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Dean Rose

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report