Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall force values do not make sense

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
gwalz
235 Views, 2 Replies

Wall force values do not make sense

I'm running an anaysis to simulate water flowing into a large tank (25 ft dia x 24 ft tall) at 3100 gpm through two different pipes, 12" and 24".  There's a centrifugal pump that removes 3100 gpm.  The reason I'm runing the analysis is to calculate the forces on the tank wall due to the flow/velocity.  The model consists of stacked wedges (4 vertical levels of 18 wedges for a total of 72 sections).  However, I'm getting high forces on the walls (severl thousands of punds) that are not due to hydrostatic force (they are constant over the four vertically stacked regions) that only vary a few punds between regions with no velocity at the wall and regions with 50 in/sec.  What's going on?  Where are the high force values coming from if it's not hydrostatic and not related to velocity?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
srhusain
in reply to: gwalz

Hi:

Without looking at your model, it is difficult to know what the underlying issue might be.

In any case, I would simply the setup by removing the pump and assign flow rates based on your estimates at the inlets of the two pipes with a zero gage pressure at the tank exit and then re-run the analysis.

Use the advection scheme Adv5.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 3
gwalz
in reply to: srhusain

Can you look at the attached support file and let me know if you see anything that can explain the wall force forces and pressures I'm getting? I will re-run the analysis with the pump outlet set to P=0, but the attached analysis converged and the wall forces do not make sense so I'm still looking for an explanation. I don't expect anything different in the new analysis with essentially the same BC applied in a different manner.

Greg

This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report