Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical Axis Wind Rurbine Simulation

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
PiotrekL1
1052 Views, 6 Replies

Vertical Axis Wind Rurbine Simulation

Hello

I have tried simulation of the simple NACA symmetrical airfoil in 2D. That looks nice but my goal is to build VAWT type H-Darrieus on my engineering dissertation. I finished Inventor training. I can make a 3D model this is no problem but I dont know how to simularte it. I am wondiering if:

- there is a possibility to set friction/load of the turbine generated by the parts( like electric generator) and then put those data , set initial speed( H darrieus cannot do self-start, needs to be spinned up ) and then get for example maximum turbine RPMs when providing details of the wind( like speedd, airpressure..)

- I read about simulation and ( I dont know if I get it correctly) I need to set RPMs of the rotor and I will get a possible lift force generated and I need to check if this lift force will produce enough  torque at particular wind speed  and if it is sufficient to power the generator.

To be honest I dont know simulation technique of it. I persume it is quite complicated task bur it will be good to know which technique is the easiest one.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
OmkarJ
in reply to: PiotrekL1

What exactly is the question?!

OJ

Message 3 of 7
PiotrekL1
in reply to: OmkarJ

Hi

Sorry maybe I wrote it to complicated. Basically I need to know how can I simulate H-Darrieus wind turbine. How to determine it's RPMs at particular windspeed.

Cheers

Message 4 of 7
Jon.Wilde

Take a look at Rotating Regions (RR) - it can be done. You could assign a rotational velocity or have it free spinning (with an inertia value).

It will be a tough simulation though, lots of mesh on the blades and a good uniform mesh where the RR and air meet.

How about setting something up and sharing what you have?

Message 5 of 7
OmkarJ

Have you tried this first?

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_CFD/enu/2013/Help/0407-Learning407/0408-Example_408/0604-Axi...

This is essentially a linear motion but you can as well get an idea what you need to do to set it as angular.

Here is a thread that discusses bits of rotational analysis:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Simulation-CFD/How-to-improve-rotating-region-anlysys/td-p/37...

There may be more discussion in other threads.

I would try some tutorials first, including the motion one, and then search through earlier threads related to rotating analysis, before even considering any simulation. You need to know some basics of CFD and a bit of practice before you venture into even a simple analysis of steady turbulent flow. You are talking about fully transient motion analysis!

OJ

Message 6 of 7
PiotrekL1
in reply to: OmkarJ

Hi

Thanks. I will try to practise at the begginign with link provided. After some time when I get more knowledge I can post my 3D model and if I need some help I will ask for it. Maybe I have not realized that it might be so difficult

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Message 7 of 7
Jon.Wilde

Omkar is spot on, you can run these buy start simple for sure. We are here to guide you though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report