Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Low Re k-epsilon turbulence model

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rjohanss
620 Views, 2 Replies

Using Low Re k-epsilon turbulence model

I am trying to run a simulation of a model and I think the Low Re k-epsilon turbulence model will provide the best results. When I run the simulation with that model, however, I noticed that the information in the Message Window after the analysis starts says:

Turbulent Incompressible Flow is ON

Turbulence model:

Intelligent Wall Formulation:

Why isn't it saying that my turbulence model is the Low Re k-e? Is something wrong in my setup or is this normal for this model?

I also have some general questions with the Low Re k-e model: am I better off to start with the SST k-omega until I get a reasonable solution and then switch to the Low-Re k-e model or should I start the Low Re k-e model from the beginning? I have the mesh as fine as I can make it for the computer I have (15.5M elements) and have the boundary layer set to 12 layers with a layer factor of 0.35 and a layer gradation of 1.40. Are there any other tips for running this model?

Thanks,

Reed

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
srhusain
in reply to: rjohanss

I would advise you to use the SST-kOmega turbulence model as it incorporates the low Reynolds number capability where needed in the flow field, including near the walls. As with any low Reynolds number model, you need to ensure that the Y+ value at the wall is less than 4 for proper resolution of the laminar sublayer.

Hope this helps

Message 3 of 3
rjohanss
in reply to: srhusain

So the SST k-omega model will handle combinations of laminar and turbulent regions just like the low Re k-e? The model I am working with right now has a flat plate with indentations in the surface. The flow velocity is 4.1m/s so the majority of the flow is laminar, however there should be significant turblulence/detachment in the indentations. I have also selected ADV5 for the advection scheme.
Thanks,
Reed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report