Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unrealistic Flow Pattern For Free Surface Simulation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
616 Views, 5 Replies

Unrealistic Flow Pattern For Free Surface Simulation

Hi!

Tried to simulate free surface problem of falling a glass of water. A glass of water and water container (that will contain water later) was designed (2D). Glass was given an fixed angular motion to tilt from vertical position at an angle of 120 degree. From results, water was seen falling downwards but the flow pattern was unrealistic. In some places,its showing small amount of water penetrating  the solid glass geometry. Why is this happening?

Help me finding the problems. Support file of that attamped simulation was attached below.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Bear in mind that we cannot model surface tension/droplets so we may not be able to capture this at all.

We also need an excellent mesh, typically a uniform/manual one is best.

Feel free to share a CFZ file.

Thanks,

Jon

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hi!

Thanks for replying. Sorry, i forgot to attach the cfz file in my first post. Support file of that attamped simulation was attached below.
I'm not trying to visualize droplets/surface tension effects but it doesn't need more than 2s (approximate) to empty a glass full of water. But my current setup results showing its not fully empty after passing 5s!!!!
Help me finding the problems.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
apolo_vanderberg

For a moving solid to "hold" water it must maintain 3-4elements through the thickness of the solid while it moves/rotates.

Look at the Free Surface Results video I did on SimTV as I performed the same analysis of a tilting/rotating glass with water.

Free surface plus motion is very mesh sensitive.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I watched your vedio in SimTV on Free Surface of a tilting/rotating glass with water, but there were very little information about setting up the Model.

If you could please share the CFZ file  you performed that would be very helpful.

Thanks Again 🙂

Message 6 of 6
apolo_vanderberg

I do not have that sharefile as it was something I quickly set up and ran for the purpose of that episode.

The details of the setup.

A mesh refinement region where the moving solid starts and where it would move in to. (Covering the entire path of motion).

This mesh must be tight enough to maintain 2-3elements through the thickness of the solid at all times, otherwise the solid will 'leak'  Free Surace.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report