Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two dimensional simulation domain

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
al.dimakis
315 Views, 4 Replies

Two dimensional simulation domain

Hi,

I would like to run a set of simulations on a wood drying kiln. To keep it simple for the beginning, I would like to use a two dimensional simulation domain.

Unfortunately, I didn't find much information about it in the Wiki Help.

Therefore, here are my questions:

1) How can I make a 2 dimensional model ? ( I can't upload any 2 dimensional drawing files into the cloud)

a) Does that mean that I have to make a 2D sketch in Inventor Fusion and  import it into the CFD 360 program?

b) Can I import a 3D CAD file into CFD 360 and cut a slice through it to get a 2D domain? If so, how can I do this?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Mathias

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
marco.mueller
in reply to: al.dimakis

make a sketch and use the patch tool in inventor to create a surface body which you can export. it has to be modelled in the xy plane

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Message 3 of 5
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: marco.mueller

Bear in mind also that once you are in CFD, the model will be one unit deep, so if you are in mm, it will assume a 1mm thickness.

There are no CAD tool's within CFD so your option is to follow Marco's suggestion, CAD first, then CFD.
Message 4 of 5
al.dimakis

Thanks for the answers.

Is there documentation or tutorials available about two dimensional simulations?

Mathias

Message 5 of 5
Royce_adsk

The documentation on 2D analysis is on the light side.  There is some documentation located in this section (http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_CFD/enu/2013/Help/0138-The_Proc138/0216-CAD_Conn216/0226-Par...) of the help towards the bottom.

Otherwise, you can review the bullet example model on running a 2D analysis.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_CFD/enu/2014/Help/0083-Tutorial83/0239-Tutorial239

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report