Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble importing geometry from CREO 2

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kcole_philips
558 Views, 3 Replies

Trouble importing geometry from CREO 2

I am having problems (now in multiple cases) getting good geometry import from CREO into CFDesign.  I understand there is no toolkit for direct translation, and I have always used parasolids (pre CREO) with no issues.  Now, I have issues with both parasolid and .sat file translations.  A .sat translation results in a CFDesign crash.  A parasolid in one case came in with "Design Model Error", and a suggestion to use small object removal.  I complete these actions and begin to assign material values.  All was fine.  I closed the simulation, and when I went to reopen it, I had a geometry retrieval error, and lost all previous work.  In a second case the geometry came in, but had some strange, triangulated surfaces extending back to a common point in space.

Is this a known issue???  Is there some work around???  Please help, I've wasted a couple of days on this now (combined with looking for a support number to call).

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: kcole_philips

Hi Ken,

This is due to potential many reason.  Your CREO2 geometry might be fine, but when you then translate that to acis or parasolid there could be a poor translation which is causing your issue.  Or, you could have an issue with your original model that needs to be resolved. It is difficult to provide guidence beyond the normal best practices when launching from a PTC cad product without actually looking at the model

What you really should do, if you still are on subscription, is upgrade to CFD 2014 which support the Creo 2 for launching like you are used to from ProE.  That way you eliminate the need to translate your model away from ther Creo2 kernal.

If that isn't an options, if you still have Wildfire 5 installed I would suggest saving out a step file and reading that into WF5 and lauching from there into CFdesign.  I have always found that PTC works best with Step files.

What version of CFdesign are you using?

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 4
kcole_philips
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Hi Royce,

I am using 2012.  We do have a subscription, but for some reason 2014 is not up an operational for us.  I think this upgrade is due to happen....but for now will have to "rig" some transfer to actually read in properly.  I am VERY confident there are no issues with my CREO model, and is robust....so I will continue to try and tweak the transfer before giving up.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: kcole_philips

Do you have access to download the software @ subscription.autodesk.com?  You could download 2014 version from subscription center and then install it as standalone with the 30 day trial setup so that you can start using the Creo 2 launcher.

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report