Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torque calculation

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
QuentinMercier
319 Views, 1 Reply

Torque calculation

Hello Everyone

Here i come because i have some trouble with a torque calculation on a simple problem. My purpose is making simple modification on a savonius wind turbine to kill the dead angle but i have some trouble with the torque calculation.

Here is a picture that illustrate my problemforum.png

Boundaries: plan(y=0)=> pressure=1bar and velocity=5m/s

plan(y=468)=> pressure=1bar

Here you ca see i have a torque (M_o1) of 4Nm (which should be near 0), but look at the forces!! let's do the torque calculation together: -M_o2=y.Fz-z.Fy         y=(y(o)-y(application point of my force)) same for z

-o=(---,-40,0)

So M_o2=0.18*1.2*10^(-3)+0.04*8*10^(-3)<<<<M_o1.

I can't explain that 4Nm calculation, here is what I have done to test and solve my problem:

-> modify boundaries (putting pressure all around the part)

->reconstruct a simple geometrie with strait cylinders

->solve step by step (one cylinders, then solve, good results, then 2nd cylinder, then solve, then BUG)

But always the same weird result....

Something you need to know moreover! When i put the velocity to 0m/s....the torque calculated by the solver is .... 4Nm!!! I have my perpetual movement here.

Does anyone have an idea, would be so cool?

I'm totaly blocked.

Quentin

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hello everyone,

Here are some news about my problem.

First of all, this weird torque was due to my boundaries conditions: I tried to put a 1Pa instead of 1bar pressure and this weird torque just disappeared. But I can't understand this phenomenum, does anyone have any explication to that?

Technically, puting 1Pa instead of 1bar must not change anything (Navier Stockes).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report